1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from the Colorado Northern Plains!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by COPlains, Feb 6, 2016.

1. COPlains

COPlains Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    Been Lurking for a few days, wanted to fill out a profile before I posted but am unable to. It is either the Windows 10 monster, or I have to post first! So, here is the copied recommended format!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?....... New to Chickens, in the process of buying property in North East Colorado that will allow me to, so I am doing my research here!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?....... 0

(3) What breeds do you have? .......none, I want pets as much as food. Dual purpose layers/meat and from info here I am leaning towards Doniniques. Havent seen anything about effects of elevation (5000+ foot) on different breeds.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?....... Internet search.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?....... Anything outdoors, hunting, fishing, Hobby Farming.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share...... Family of 5 is looking forward to be able to have chickens and possibly Goats. Just a cool Dachshound named Rommel for a pet. I am Military, a Toolmaker, Welder, and general Jack of all trades!

Great site so far, lots of good info here! Thanks to all that are so willing to help and share their experience!

1 person likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center for some great articles to help get you started:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

As for the effect of altitude on which breed you select, I believe weather is more of a factor than elevation. Chickens generally do better in the cold than they do the heat so you'll have plenty of dual purpose breeds to choose from. This is one of the LC articles you may be especially interested in:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...cken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds

It's great to have you here, make yourself at home!

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community. It sounds like you have exciting times ahead. All the best with planning for your new flock!

CT

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Welcome to BYC, neighbor ;)

Great peeps here lol, lots of info. Watch out for "chicken math" ha-ha; it strikes many, myself included ;)

And welcome to CO, if you just moved here. Beautiful state, and you have some excellent options in the NE; PM me if you need help finding anything in particular, especially low cost bulk feed or windbreak material lol ;)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC from your neighbor to the north in Montana. Glad you decided to join our flock.You have a very good and thorough introduction. :eek:) X2 on NorthFlChick; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I'm glad you made it official. :frow

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You might like to post on your state thread to get advice from locals - who know the climate and breeds etc.

9. COPlains

COPlains Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    Thanks everyone for all of the good wishes and advice! I have been into the learning center but somehow missed the regional forums. I will be lurking around! I have a few months to get the coop with a nice run built, and a suitable place made for the chicks. Really liked the set up with the heating pad I seen on here!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by