New from the Pacific Northwest

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FowlWthrFriend, May 13, 2011.

1. FowlWthrFriend

FowlWthrFriend Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Phoenix
    First things first: THANK YOU ALL for the wealth of information I've learned just by hanging out here for a short time! It brought my gimpy barred rock chick back from the brink! [​IMG] I'm so happy that we still have all our chicks.

I've been lurking around ever since I started earnestly researching chickens about 4 months ago. DH has 3 aunts with chickens and I've been pondering the idea for over a year. So, prior preparation + chick days sale = chickens for us! [​IMG]

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Our first chicks are now 10 weeks old [​IMG] and moved from the clear plastic tote in the living room to the makeshift cardboard brooder in the garage. I'm the first chicken owner in my family! I thought how nice it would be to have fresh eggs and how the kids would have fun learning and caring for the chickens. They love them and my twins use their budding sign-language to ask to 'pet' the 'chicken'--so cute. Our sheltie was pretty excitable around them at first, but mellowed once she got her first nose pecking. heh heh

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Seven. Had 6 breeds on the list going to the store and spent enough that we 'got' to pick one from the free chick bin. Oy, it's chicken math already!!! And I didn't have to subtract the barred rock! [​IMG]

(3) What breeds do you have?

1 Each: Ameracauna, Australorp, Buff Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, Silver-laced Wyandotte, and a free Black Sex Link.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I checked out "Chickens for Dummies" from the library and the site is listed multiple times. Figured that meant it was pretty good.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Yah, like I have time for these anymore, but anyways: I'm a graphic designer, love art & painting, sewing (I at least get to making halloween costumes each year), some crafts, reading classic books, playing with the kids & dog (do this, lol), trying to garden in the rain (live in western WA). Would love to have a mini farm someday, especially with some horses, but one thing at a time I suppose.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Well, I'm one of the lucky ones who got to marry her true love (almost 10 years ago now [​IMG]) that also lets me have chickens and is still trying to build me an awesome coop (and a backyard fence, and a playset for the kids, and etc...). Busy here with 6yo son, 3.5yo daughter and 2yo twin boys who still can't manage to swallow anything correctly so they are tube-fed right through into their tummies! Then there's Mollie the Shetland Sheepdog (MY first dog [​IMG]), very spastic but has a heart of gold.

I think that's it for now, I'll try to be a bit bolder and pass my 'new egg' status soon... still trying to get over being shy. [​IMG]
    Thanks again everyone!

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]
    Welcome to the chicken addiction, from Renton Wa.

Congrats on the chicks.

[​IMG] Now sally forth and post! [​IMG]

Imp- Who is this Sally Forth? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008