New from the PNW!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pushjerk, Apr 14, 2017.

1. pushjerk

pushjerk Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Good day, everyone!

My wife and I decided this would be the Spring we start our small flock of chickens. Our three kids are super excited.

About six weeks ago, went to our local feed store and bought four chicks:

Phyllis - a Golden Laced Wyandotte

Falon - a Speckled Sussex

Hei Hei - a Barred Rock

And...

Ryan Seacrest - a Maran

We were told they have been sexed, but there's always a chance we'll get a rooster.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and introduce our girls (we hope). Flock portrait to follow.

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    Hey, pushjerk! [​IMG]! Glad you got a flock started! If you have any questions, ask away!

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi, "neighbor", and welcome to BYC! Sounds like a lovely starter flock you have there.

4. pushjerk

pushjerk Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I'll have plenty of questions indeed. Actually wrote a post in the "Raising Chicks" section about moving these gals outside.

In the meantime, here is a photo of the "gals"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  5. pushjerk

pushjerk Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    The above was actually their first time outside. It was a little chilly and blustery. Don't think they enjoyed it too much. They were out again today and they were much more active and curious. Ryan Seacrest (Maran) even caught a big ol' worm!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under pushjerk [​IMG] Welcome & Congratulations!

Those are some adorable little ones you have there and [​IMG] for Ryan’s hunting skills.

If you are wanting some opinions on gender, you could post some individual full body and head [comb] shots of each of them on the Breed & Gender Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. pushjerk

pushjerk Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017

Well in that case ...

My wife is a photographer by trade, so naturally these feathered family members have made their way into her work.

http://www.junebugphotographyhi.com/chilling-chickens-whidbey-island-photographer/

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! :woot

10. pushjerk

pushjerk Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Our first four are wearing out their welcome inside. At 7 weeks they're ready to go out to their coop, which is maybe a day away from being livable.

Our Maran turns out to be a rooster and he has to move out of town, so went to The feed store to bring a chick home to keep our numbers the same. But came home with a crew:

[​IMG]

A Buff Orpington, a Black Australorp, and a Blue Langshan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by