New from Tucson Arizona!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Vics Chicks, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Vics Chicks

Vics Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Hi! I have been a lurker for awhile now and thank everyone for sharing their highs and lows when its comes to our feathered friends. Although we have been talking about adopting a few chickens for years, we took on the challenge last May when my daughter's class hatched chickens and ducks as part of their lifesciences segment of 1st grade. One day it was talk and the next I was a chicken mama of 3 blue andalusians. As chicks, they loved to pecked throughout the yard and then jump in my lap for a nap. So cute. Since then we have had our own highs and lows. We lost one blue to a large hungry king snake in June. Then we took on 3 ameracuanas. The introductions were easy. In September our hens started laying and we discovered that Cookie (our 5th) is actually a roo. We now have 6 hens (1 blue andalusian, 3 ameracuanas, 1 cochin and the other I am unsure). We love our feathered girls and share our home with our very large labs, cockatiel, fish and of yeah, our children. They add a new dimension in our lives and we are so pleased they've come to stay!

Thanks for letting me share. I look forward to chatting with you.

2. cyndiloowho

cyndiloowho Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Ut
    Welcome! [​IMG]
    I love hearing your story. It is great sharing raising chickens with the kiddos isn't it?
    I love this web site too, don't know what I would do without the experts here. They are wonderful.
    BTW-Your little one in your avatar looks almost exactly like my 10 yr old princess [​IMG] What a cutie!
    Nice to meet you!

3. KingR0o5t3r

KingR0o5t3r Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    Welcome! I'm in Vail and it sounds like you know what your doing so your ahead of the game. I knew very little about chickens when I started, now I like to think that I'm very well educated on the topic :) pictures!? You must post pictures lol

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Vics Chicks, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Chickens are indeed very rewarding! Good luck to you! Enjoy BYC!

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us !

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] So that glad that you are here and enjoying your flock.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined us

10. Vics Chicks

Vics Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Thank you all for your warm greetings! Its so nice to finally get to chatting with you all.

We had a rough morning today. Yesterday morning we separated our Blue Andalusian from the flock temporarily as she has been pecking tirelessly at a few of our hens pulling out all the feathers on one's head and drawing blood; the others have no feathers on their rears. We've have been babying the bleeding hen and protecting her as much we can until the natural order is re-established within the coop. Bleeding has stopped and we've applied neosporin and now blukote. We had planned to re-enter Blue to the flock this AM. Well, when I went out to feed them early this AM to my horrified surprise, obviously a bob cat got her last night. There was blood and feathers everywhere. I'm so sad for this baby Blue that we've raised. Poor girl.

This is our first round with a bob cat although we see them are in the area. We have two large dogs so they don't usually come close to our yard. Although I feel our coop is very secure, its time to double reinforcements on their home before he returns for another tasty treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by