1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

New from West Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wvcruffler, Apr 28, 2009.

1. wvcruffler

wvcruffler In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Elkins, WV
    Howdy all,
    New listmember from Randolph Co, WV.
    I have had chickens since 2003. There have been many ups and downs. At one time, I had 30+ barnevelders, cuckoo maran, and welsummers. A mink reduced that flock by 25 in about 90 minutes. Then I rebuilt with tractor supply chicks - Red Star, Easter Eggers, and an assortment of a few others. Due to attrition to dinner table, fox, coyote, feral dogs, a golden eagle, broad winged hawk, and perhaps others that I don't know about, I was down to 3 egger hens. Now I have a styrobator and Marsh Roll-X full of eggs set to hatch about 6 days apart (though temperature issues may change that). As I have largely been free ranging the chickens to control ticks, etc. I decided to try some game bloodlines to see if they have a bit more hardiness. I also have moved the Alpacas into the same field as the henhouse, which should help with the feral dog/coyote issues. Finally, my daughter is now 8 and has assumed many chores, including letting out/locking up the chickens every night. I suppose it will remain to be see how this goes. I also now have a 3 acre field with good fencing where I will be putting a few more chickens to walk about with 3 Llamas. We also have a old gray goose, about 10 mixed pekin ducks, and an assortment of our own dogs, rabbits, cats, etc.. My wife and I are family practice physicians (DO's) who do a rural practice here. The farm is 95 acres total. I have stumbled across this site and I hope to learn much, as so far it has been all trial and error.
    Dr.Phil

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Hi! Welcome from North Carolina![​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hello, [​IMG] from South Carolina!

5. joedie

joedie Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] from Indiana!

6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio!

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Hey Fellow West Virginian!! [​IMG] Welcome!!

Im sorry to hear about your ups and downs but it seems you are learning a great deal and doing what you can to make things better. Moving other livestock into the field should help a great deal. The smell of them should scare away some predators and locking them up at night is key. Thank you dear daughter [​IMG]

There is a wealth of knowledge on our coop forums and Im sure you could find out how to keep yours predator proof. Im fortunate in some ways, I guess. I live right near town and the only thing I have to worry about is the stray dog. Haven't even seen a hawk yet... knock on wood [​IMG]

8. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG] Hi neighbor!!

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens