New from western North Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by White Leghorn, Mar 16, 2013.

1. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hello. I have been a long time viewer of BYC but just recently decided to join! I already have so many questions to ask and I am sure everyone here has so many answers to give! I have about 15 large, full grown chickens and about 20 chicks! I also have 30 chicken eggs in the incubator and 36 quail eggs in there too (24 Bobwhites and 12 Coturnix)! As mentioned in the title, i live in western North Carolina and I love it here! All of my chickens enjoy there home here in North Carolina too and wouldn't rather be anywhere else! I also have an injured chick currently who was seriously pecked at. It is in a separate brooder box and I have applied peroxide and Neosporin to the wound. I have also given him a small dosage of Tylenol to ease the pain. I can't afford any BluKote right now but do you have any other suggestions on what to do with the chick? It seems to be doing fine and I have kept it in the brooder box for about 3 days now. I just needed to know if there was anything else I should be doing to help him out? Thanks guys!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, White Leghorn, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things for your injured chick. If she is eating and drinking and appears to be getting stronger, I'd say if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Just make sure she is completely healed up before re-introducing her to the flock! Good luck and have fun!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Peroxide tends to burn healthy tissues - you might want to try saline next time. Neosporin is fine (without any CAINE ingredients). I don't know about tylenol, chicken people generally use aspirin if needed but, I know the dosage. You would probably get better feedback on the - Forum for emergencies, diseases and injuries but, doesn't sound like a serious problem. If it is one bird that does all the pecking - you might want to put it in solitary for a day or two - so it can repent before going back to the flock.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. White Leghorn

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Thank you redsoxs! I was hoping everything was good and I was doing everything necessary for him to survive. Thanks for the warm welcome also!

5. White Leghorn

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Well, you see, I had nothing on me at the time of the accident and I didn't want to let the chick die on my watch. What had happened was it had got caught in the fencing and couldn't get out so one started pecking at it and you know what happens when one chicken sees blood... It was a children's Tylenol and, since that was all I had around (pain killer wise), I decided to go with it! Thanks for the great information! If something like this ever happens again though, I will be sure to follow these steps!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your chick. It sounds like you are doing your best for him. Good luck!

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if things are going fine with that chick. Welcome to BYC.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]From Kansas! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by