New from Western Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bunnys Mom, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Bunnys Mom

Bunnys Mom New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    Hello there. We are relatively new chicken parents. We bought six peeps at Tractor Supply almost 2 years ago. They are all different breeds & sizes. One chick died the day after we got it and we gave one big, black rooster away. So we have one big black hen named Gerald, one white Leghorn rooster named Nugget and one teeny, tiny Bantam hen named Squirrel. Our "baby" is a Porcelain D'Uccle rooster named Bunny. In July Bunny became a father to 4 Bantam roosters and 4 hens. Squirrel was the mother. So now we have a total of 12 chickens. In addition to the chickens, we have 3 dogs, 2 cats and a ferret. All the animals live inside with the exception of the chickens. We are also a military family. I am retired Navy, my husband is active duty and our youngest son just joined the Navy. We have a total of 4 human children. We constantly consult BYC whenever we need answers to all our chicken questions. I am new to the whole forum thing but figured I would give it a shot. We are having some issues with our baby, Bunny, and I am hoping some one may be able to help us through it.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Please accept my sincere appreciation for your, your husband, and son's time in service. Enjoyed you introduction. I am thinking maybe your problem with Bunny is one of rooster aggression. That seems to be the most common subject on BYC. If you put that in the search box, many articles should come up.

3. Bunnys Mom

Bunnys Mom New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    Our Porcelain D'Uccle named Bunny was attacked by the four young roosters on Thursday morning. They beat him up pretty good. His head was all bloody & swollen. One eye was completely swollen shut and the other was only open a tiny bit. We took him inside and put Vaseline on his comb and over his shut eye. He drank and ate some Thursday. On Friday he crowed 3 times and was still "talking". He ate even less and barely drank. He has been getting worse every day now. I don't think he can see much and his depth perception is really off. All he wants to do is sit in his little cage. He is suck a sweet chicken and my youngest daughter's "best friend". We don't know what to do and are hoping some one out there may be able to help us. Thanks in advance!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Bunnys Mom [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear about Bunny’s woes and recommend posting them on the ER Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Best wishes to you and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for Bunny.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - hope your little fella pulls through.

Best wishes
    CT

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Bunnys Mom, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! As D'Diva said above, thank you and your family for your military service! Best wishes to you and your flock and that you for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope the ER folks can give Bunny the help he needs. Have you considered what to do with all the roosters?

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the big, happy BYC family! I am so glad you joined us, please make yourself at home. I hope you will enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by