NEW FUZZY BUTTS! Are we doing this right?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stir-fry, Apr 13, 2009.

1. stir-fry

stir-fry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    But diggy cam is dead so no pics yet [​IMG] Ok this is bad. got our first 4 hens 3 days ago and went ot get feed etc tonight and Rachel talked me into 6 new fuzzy butts [​IMG] The breeds are in my sig.

so.. we got a large plastic tub thats 20" wide & 3' long. Shavings on the floor, starter feed in a 6" feeder, water, baby grit, and a light cone with a 60 watt bulb, its steady at 80 degrees...

Is that warm enough? They are all hanging out under the light. Not huddled but stil staying right there, all 6 are sleeping alone in about a 12" cirle.

oh and in 2 hours they have almost emptied the feeder [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    everything sounds good except the temp... if the babies are under a week old, they should really have 90-95 degrees directly under the lamp and then cooler as they move out from under it. It doesn't sound like they are too cold (they don't seem to be suffering) right now, but it sounds like they aren't quite comfortable with moving all around the brooder so if you lower the light just a little, it will be a bit warmer and maybe they'll move around a bit more.

Other than that, it sounds like you're doing really well and have all the right stuff. Enjoy them [​IMG]

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Sounds about right. [​IMG]

Congratulations on your new fuzzies!!!
    (Oh, and BTW... it's Orpington... no "h"... [​IMG], and australorps... All wonderful breeds... good job!!)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They've ravenous little buggers, aren't they? Try putting a disposable pie plate under the feeder to catch the feed they're billing out.

Sounds like they're a-ok. They'll start venturing out from under the light in a bit. If they don't, lower it or get a heat lamp bulb.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    WELCOME from another Washingtonian -

I would get a red heat lamp so they can sleep better. How are your big girls doing?

6. stir-fry

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    Quote:your rigth! thanks! half of its in the shavings!

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh, I missed that your'e not too far away from me! I live in Tacoma.

8. stir-fry

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    yippers we are [​IMG]

9. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

fantastic idea! (running to get a pie plate!)
    Quote:

10. stir-fry

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    ah ha! i tried an old trick i used to do with my sons lizard tanks when he was little. cover part of the lid with a towel.. light is at one end, towel is covering far 1/4 of roof mesh at other end (bin is 3" long) and it shot up to 97 and they are running around makin racket [​IMG]:celebrate [​IMG] still works like a charm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by