New fuzzy butts have arrived! pic heavy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Heather J, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I ordered 8 white silkies, 8 white frizzled cochins, and 9 bbs silkies. They shipped a day early and arrived Thursday morning, but I couldn't find my camera charger until last night. Here are the babies!
    The white silkies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The bbs silkies
    [​IMG]
    One of my silkies, do you think it's blue or splash? I couldn't tell if any of them ended up being splash.[​IMG]

Then I got the white cochins, but several of them have these dark backs. Are they going to be white, or splash?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I found pasty butt on one of my cochins this morning. It's been lethargic, so I cleaned it up and have been feeding it sugar water every hour or so and it seems to be coming around. I'll be keeping a close eye on it all day, so I'm glad I have the day free. I also cleaned up pasty butt on several others, but they were still healthy and doing well, so I'll watch out for more over the next few days.

2. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    They're so cute! I wish I had gotten more silkies.
    I don't really know much about cochins, but I think those might be splash..
    And I don't think your silkie is splash; mine looked almost exactly like that and just has gotten a bit darker over time. [​IMG]
    But either way, congrats and good luck! [​IMG]

3. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Oh my Lord, those are the cutest little things! Yay for babies!

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG! How irresistible! LOVE silkies and cochins.....Lucky YOU!

5. Heather J

May 29, 2008
    Anyone have any idea why my white silkies have the purplish spot on their foreheads? They all have it, so I wondered if they had been 'colored' so they could incubate mixed chicks int he same bator/hatcher and allow the hatchery to tell them apart, but most silkies are pretty easy to tell from other breeds. That's the only reson I could come up with.

I can't say I would be upset to get splash cochins since I wanted to order bbs cochins, but they didn't have any available for purchase.

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    The cochins are really, really, pretty! If they're not white than what are they? 'cause I'm definately getting some!

7. Heather J

May 29, 2008
    The cochins were supposed to be white, but some of them have the darker fluff on their backs so I'm hoping they'll be splash. I won't know for a few more weeks what they turn out to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by