New geese. Big mistake?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by 2dancingrats, Jun 27, 2010.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    I have two Toulouse geese (goose and gander) and two Indian Runner drakes. Yesterday, we brought home two goslings who are about 8-10 weeks old. The geese were very pleased and paraded them around the yard, taking them to all of their favorite spots and generally doted on them. The drakes, however, are trying to mount the goslings, chasing them around and scaring them half to death. The geese are upset by this, but just do a lot of wing flapping and screaming when the duck go after the goslings.
    I let the geese and goslings out, which was great, but the ducks were very unhappy staying in the barn all afternoon.
    If I let the geese and ducks out, the geese fret and honk and worry about where the goslings are.
    Is this situation likely to improve soon? Should I re-home these goslings? Anyone had a similar experience.
    Thanks soooo much.

ps. I'm also posting this question under ducks.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

They probably just need to get used to each other. I would worry about the ducks hurting the goslings though. Maybe a couple of female ducks need to be added? Terri O

3. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    You're probably right, but I have two drakes, so that would require more hens than I'm set up for right now.

4. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    I rehomed my runner drake because he would not stop attacking my gosling. My other ducks don't have a problem getting along with the goslings. For three weeks I tried keeping them seperate. I would pen the runner one day and the gosling the next. The runner would be good for a day after being locked up then would go after the gosling again. He went to the farm pond two farms down and life is peaceful again.

5. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Those goslings will soon outgrow the runner drakes and the tables will be turned, big time.

THem are horny boys, poor things. But the way geese grow, it won't be an issue for much longer. Keep the runners penned and let the goose family have some peace for a little while . . . then let the runners out and see if the "cycle" has been broken, if the parent geese are more defensive, or if the goslings are big enough to take care of themselves [​IMG]

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Usually after the geese have beat the snot out of the drakes they get the idea!

7. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I raised gosling's (Toulouse) along with my duck's 2 years ago.The young gosling's were agressive when we had them penned the ducks were coming to their pen area outside.They would try to nip at the duck's trough the fence.They all nicely got along though once the gosling's started free ranging and stuff.Crazy thing is they eventualy wound up housing with 14 duck's in the horse stall and even had nest of egg's in there and Other than a honk We never had any major problem's from them.Worst problem bird I had was a NN Roo always trying to mate my duck's [​IMG].Yea and he ate all my flower's too he went for a ride with a new owner lol.

8. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    My ducks and older geese were raised together, so they already thought they were a family. The geese are visibly pleased with the goslings. They all live in the same pen, but we've been keeping the goslings separated from them at night. Maybe we should lock the ducks in the little pen and leave the babies with the big geese.

9. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    I would try to work it out, but if you can't, I Would rehome the drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by