New Generation Hatched Yesterday and more to come.... (chick pics)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Feb 19, 2014.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

These are being raised in the bantam coop by Belgian D'anver broodies, but are all LF chicks. Two are from my Blue Rock hens, two from my Splash Rock hen and one is from Raven, a solid black Delaware x Blue Rock (thought she was Tiny's daughter, but she's gotten way too large). There are five more eggs due to hatch on Feb. 28 in there, from the same hens including one from Isaac's 1/2 Delaware daughter who looks pure, Serena.

All possible sires are either Isaac or his crossbreed sons, Deacon, Rex, Scout or Gabriel. Deacon and Rex are black barred with single combs. Scout is a Delawegger with pea comb and beard and Gabriel looks exactly like a pure Delaware except for red streaks. The last two are Delaware colored.

One blue tank of a chick with a head spot out of one of the Blue Rock hens, two black with head spots (one of those belongs to Raven and one to the Splash Rock hen), one coal black out of a blue Rock hen (looks just like Raven did as a chick) and one yellow chick with single comb that looks just like a Delaware-that one came from my splash Rock hen.

May not keep any of these. Just not sure yet. I want some new blood in here and plan a hatch at some point so I may find these new homes. I'd be tempted to keep a blue barred rooster or hen, either one. Haven't had a blue barred bird here since we lost our beautiful hen, Riley, about a year ago. The little one below will be barred, can tell from the head spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    :love :love :love

3. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    So cute! I love that third pic down. :D I really want a spotted hen like those so pretty.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Nothing cuter than a baby chick! But your hens are gorgeous!! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

Thank you! I do think the D'Anver hens are adorable. Penny is 3 years old and Mina is 2 years old. Each has raised one clutch prior to this one. I love that they are fine brooding chicks together.

6. speckledhen

The chicks are five days old now and look at how much they've grown. I know one is a pullet, the coal black one. Not sure if there are any more pullets in there, but I think the blue will be a blue barred rooster. Wish I could keep that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is amazing just how fast chicks grow. It is almost as if you can watch them growing!! They look very healthy. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

It sure is, isn't it? They are so adorable. Four more should be hatching in about four days, from the same moms, the blue and splash Rock hens, plus one from Raven again.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    OMG in that fourth pic....it is using Delaware Mind Control already! Don't look it in the eye Cyn!

10. speckledhen

You're right! It could be the first glimpse of the famous Delaware Mind Control! That's the danger with even the crosses. The Delaware is strong in them, like in this little guy that Nugget raised a few years ago:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by