New Genesis 1588 temp running high with turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smokin Silkies, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I just got my new Genesis 1588 bator yesterday morning and plugged it in. It stayed steady at 100.0 for about 6 hours. I added the auto turner and it went up to 100.8 and has been steady at that temp since yesterday afternoon. Is this temp still ok for chickens? I thought for forced air it was about 99.5? Should I try to adjust it or let it go? Thanks!

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Are you using the themometer that came with it or a digital/mercury that you put inside?

3. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Im using a digital thermo/hygrometer. I calibrated again after my last hatch which was a couple days ago. The thermometer that came with it shows about 105...LOL I don't go by those ones, they are never accurate

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I think you will be okay with that temp. It is a little high, but not enough to make really hurt anything. It may come down a bit after a few days or a week. If your hatch is early, then I would consider moving the toggle swich on the bator down one. If you don't know how to do this, check your directions. It isn't too hard. I have also found that GQF has a good support system. If you call them, they will walk you through it.

5. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    NO...my bad I only calibrated the hygrometer. How do I test the thermometer part of it (they are both on the digital). I really need to get some sleep here [​IMG]

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:I have two thermo/hydrometers in the bator. If they are both within .2 degrees of each other, I consider that accurate and no need to calibrate. To answer your question, I don't know how to calibrate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: