New "Genesis" Incubator Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tony, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    I purchased a hova bator Genesis, the advertisement said its pre-set to 99.5 degrees and the only thing needed to be done is add water and eggs. I`ve seen on a few posts here, that you all seem to be incubating at 100 or more. Does the .5 make a difference? Also, this incubator didn`t come w/ anything to test humidity. Does anyone have one of these incubators? Tony

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Tony I have the Genesis and am doing a test hatch right now. .5 of a degree shouldn't make any difference. Mine seems to run 99.5 to 100 according to my thermometer. It says to do a test hatch with the Genesis paperwork and adjust after that if necessary.

It doesn't come with a hygrometer. You'll need to purchase one yourself. I got one at Walmart for about $13. It's an accurite thermometer/hygrometer. Also Flukers makes a good thermometer/hygrometer that you can pick up at most any petstore, I got mine on ebay for $8 including shipping. I believe they run about $20 at Petsmart.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    The higher temps are for still air I believe.

I have two hygrometers in my incubator - they are also thermometers, one is a fluker one is a honeywell wireless - so I have the sensor in the bator and the receiver here next to my computer... [​IMG]

My fluker reads slightly higher on temp than the honeywell -
    the fluker reads 100-101 ish and the honeywell is at 98.6 right now. They're probably BOTH off, but we're going ok.

My humidity shows the same on both right now 46%

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have one and the temp is steady at 99.5 right out of the box. I have a wet bulb thermometer in mine to read the humidity. I also have one of the $6 round humidity dials from petsmart that is right on with the humidity readings. I notice that with my hatches I have to fill both water troughs and add a little more water to the side trough to get it to read 70% the last three days. It's a great incubator your going to love it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  5. Tony

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    I bought a digital thermometer/hygrometor (spelled both those wrong probably) at WalMart tonight, the temp is reading 100.2 and humidity says 53% for 2 hours now, no change. I will be putting my eggs in Monday. Am I good to go? are my temp/humidity ok?

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I don't trust the thermometers and such - thats why I have two in there right now - well actually three but the third one I don' tpay much attention to.

you want your humidity somewhere between 40-50%
    but I think yours sounds ok, don't let it go any higher.....
    temp sounds ok, I'm guessing that thermometer is slightly off.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My two 1588s fluctuate a little from 99.5 to 100.

I'd say you're good to go.

Have fun and good luck!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I say go with it. As with every bator and thermometer and room setting that is being used, they have to be tested and adjusted for. Even the time of year can make a difference in how well things hatch and develop. Keeping the temp at about 100 is the best place to start when it comes to figuring out what works best for your setup.

9. Tony

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Excellent!!! WooHoo!! Thanks everyone!!!

10. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I have this unit and actually had to adjust it down to the lowest setting after a horrible first hatch (it was running at almost 102). Since then it has operated perfectly, fluctuating less than a degree over the 21 days of incubation. My eggs typically start pipping on day 19-20 and the majority hatch on day 21.

Richard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by