New girl from Arizona!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sakai, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Sakai

Sakai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Hi everyone. I've been roaming around the site for a few hours and found it a very lovely place with great people. I hope to learn a lot on how to care for my new chick babies as best i can.

1. Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I use to live on a small farm when I was younger. We had many chickens, as well as two peacocks (one male and a female) a huge turkey and many doves. I haven’t raised chickens for the past 14 years and I really wanted to get back into it. I was about 8 when my family started raising chickens. It was 100% free ranged. They nested in the weeds and laid eggs and if we didn’t find them they would hatch in the weeds. Chicks stayed outside with mother and the chickens roosted in the trees at night. They had a coop but very rarely did any of the chickens use it.
    We ended up with around 40 chickens before a dog from down the road started killing out chickens by the twos and threes every other day. As kids my brother and I would chase after the dog when it would get into our back yard. The dog was very mean and had caused lots of problems for the kids in the area. I believe our neighbor ended up shooting the dog after it had chased my younger brother who was trying to keep it out of the yard. By then we only had about five chickens left and they ended up dying not so long after that. Why? I don’t really recall.

I haven’t raised chickens or any other sort of farm animal after that. We moved away from the farm and into a suburb type neighborhood set three miles from the main town. Many people around here keep chickens although they must be kept in a coop or have their wings clipped and kept fenced to keep them from wandering loose in the street.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Right now I have two, one week old chicks.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    I have Brahma Batams One dark and one light. I hope to get a buff soon.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Doing some research for the new chicks.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Reading and writing. As well a video gaming.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.Right now I live with my father and my DF (Dear Fiancé) I’m 24 and my DF will be 24 this month. I have three cats a pond of Koi fish, and a puppy on the way. My DF has a hamster and has claimed the new chicks as his. He has also raised chickens as a child but hasn’t done so in years.
    We work the graveyard shift, which is interesting, but makes yard work, errands and everyday chores hard to deal with. But we try and manage.

At the moment my DF and I are stuck in a bit of a rut in life. We’ve wanted to start a family but we seem to be having trouble. Slowly DF and I have fallin’ into a bit of a depression. We hope that having a new puppy and new chickens will give us something to look forward to doing, a hobby that involves caring for something and being outside.

-Sakai ^.^

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing. [​IMG] I'm sure you'll both enjoy raising chickens once more, and the puppy will be another wonderful experience. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  3. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Welcome from Florida!! [​IMG]

Lisa [​IMG]

4. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Welcome! It looks like a bunch of people in Arizona have shown up recently.[​IMG]

5. countrygirlatheart

countrygirlatheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Huffman Texas
    [​IMG] From Huffman Texas

6. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello and [​IMG] from NC

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] Let your chickens entertain you!!!! hey always lift my spirits. Also, stop trying and just enjoy life. Unexpected thing often happen when you least expected it!

9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Welcome! I hope your critters help to lift your spirits!

10. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    [​IMG] You're gonna love it here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by