New Girl From Texas

Ijhtxnurse

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
I'm new here! I have had chickens since January 2017 and I had no idea how much I'd LOVE them. ❤️ They bring so much happiness to my life.

I have 10 RIR pullets & 2 RIR cockerels that are 9 weeks old.

I have one amazing Rhode Island Red rooster. His name is cooper. He is almost 1 year old. I actually didn't really care for him at first, he would chase me around and sit by my back door crowing for hours on end, I thought he hated me! He pecked my ankle a few times. I was very put off by him until one day I was watching him outside. I saw how he gathered up all my chicks from the yard as it started to rain and he called and chased them until they were all safe inside the coop (even my baby turkeys). Later I was outside and he made some strange noise, all of my chicks darted for the coop & once they were inside he stepped further towards the pond & froze. About 1 minute passed and I saw a huge chicken hawk take off from over the pond. He made another noise and they all went about their business. I saw how much he cares for & protects the chicks (which are now pullets/cockerels). I've never seen him try to breed with them either. And I also came to realize that he only chases me around because he loves me. He is nothing but love.. he is brave, a hard worker, patient, caring, and willing to give his life for his flock. He's better than any human I know. ❤️

I recently got a Rhode Island white hen from a friend for my roo & they get along well. She has been a little distant from the young ones but she'll follow cooper around everywhere.

I also have 2 poults that are 8 weeks old. They probably think they are chickens at this point lol. They are ALWAYS together & "meep meep" to each other all day long.

I have 2 Californian rabbits. And finally one red wattle female piglet. I am picking up another piglet this Friday so she won't be alone.

I'm from Texas, I live with my boyfriend & our two boys (4 & 8). I'm a pediatric trach/vent nurse. I love to cook, spend time with my family, and I have too many hobbies to List.

I think I answered all the questions :)
If not, feel free to ask.

Roosters are neat creatures. When you have more than one they talk to each other in the most amazing ways (at least mine do). They don't do that with hens, and hens don't do that with each other.

:welcome

Thanks for the nice intro, it's good to have you here!

I enjoyed reading about your roo Cooper. I got an "oops" roo in my newest batch of chicks and am enjoying watching him grow into a big handsome guy. His name is Moe and he's a Welsumer, he's just now learning how to crow which is fun.

Make yourself at home here!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sounds like your Cooper is doing his job taking care of the flock! I am glad he is so sweet. Chicks sure are fun to watch grow!

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our roost! :)

IMG_2834.JPG
Welcome to BYC, I also have a great roo he is a siliky and he protects his girls like a good roo, he runs up to the fence and tries to fight my dogs, funny to watch, he eats out of my hand and sometimes he gives the food to his girls.

Back
Top Bottom