New Girl in Alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PeuAPeu, Mar 30, 2012.

1. PeuAPeu

PeuAPeu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    Hi all! I'm a newbie from Alabama. I am in St. Clair County just NE of Birmingham. I am 37 yrs old and this is my first attempt at raising chickens. I am mainly doing it for fun and maybe get some eggs out of it. I just bought 10 chicks, two each of EE, Australorps, Black Giants, Barred Rock and Production Reds. Any tips and advice is welcome. Waiting to see how many hens/roos I end up with. Right now they are indoors with the heat lamp on. I have a bit to get my coop cuilt. Any suggestions on that? I have a lot of scrap wood and some cabinets and doors out of a house that was torn down. About what size would be a good suggestion? Anyway.....I am really looking forward to this endeavor. Thanks and look forward to getting to know you all!

2. hooadefender

hooadefender Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    ely, vt
    we have a 6x6 coop and a 6x14 run for 15 hens should have gone bigger only cause i would like more birds in the future but i have room for expansion. welcome to the addiction

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to BYC from NY State! [​IMG]

Australorps and Barred Rocks are two of my favorite breeds. Ya done good in your choices!
    For 10 birds an 8x8 coop would be good. Wander through the Coop Pages for ideas and inspiration! There are a ton of amazing coops in there.

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from a neighbor in Coffee County. Glad you joined us. Congrats on your chicks and good luck [​IMG] The best coop advice I can think of is to build it bigger than you think you'll need. Once you learn chicken math, you end up with more chickens than you thought you'd ever have [​IMG]

Have you checked out the Alabama thread, yet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/29002/alabama

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. PeuAPeu

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    Thanks all! This seems like a very friendly and helpful website and forum. I've been reading for a week or so and signed up on here yesterday. Look forward to knowing you all!

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Congrats and good luck. As for coop advise, use screws instead of nails. They are easier to remove when things need adapting. :lau

8. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Hello and welcome! I'm new as well, and so far, winning at chicken math - wanted six and only have eight right now - but we already gutted an old trailer to make a larger coop for next year [​IMG] SO I second the notion of going bigger! Also, great choices on breeds! And check out the articles on PDZ for making your coop smell better.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. PeuAPeu

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I am not winning in the math game.......my four chicks have already turned into ten. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by