New girl on the block

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heathero617, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Seems to be somewhat of a floozie! I've had my newbies in the grow out pen as a health and social precaution for a week and a half now. I bought the cutest little, what I thought was a Columbian colored cochin, I'm not sure since she doesnt have feathered legs and she's not very nice. She may just be antisocial, i dont know. I left them all out into the big pen, just for a while yesterday so i could clean their pen and give them some extra exercise and to "test the waters". The big birds heard all the chatter and came to investigate, so i let them in, supervised and as soon as my 1 roo came in, she flattened out on the ground for him. He quickly jumped on her, grabbed her neck feathers and did his thing. Then the other roo came to the door and I let him in, she did the same thing with him! WOWZERS! Ok...fast forward a few hours, The boys are back at the gate after scratching and bug hunting, so I let them back in, 1 at a time I don't want a horrible mess on my hands, and again, she flattens out for him!

Now, normally I would say this is a great thing, but heres my problem....my roos are barred rocks, big beefy boys! The one, did his "thing"and she walked away and went back to pecking at the ground, he came after her again, this time she wasnt so accepting but he was insistant. So as she went to run from him, he grabbed back feathers and literally picked her up off the ground! EKKKKKKKKK My boys are "young" and not doing this to the other girls that are their age and size and I know they have to get good at this "thing". But ohhh myyyyy goodnessssss, am I going to have to keep them from her and the other little ones until he gets his technique honed or what am I going to do? I'd LOVE to be able to intergraate the entire flock soon, but I'm going to have to think of something else if they are going to be big bullys! Anyone have any suggestions to help? I'm afraid they'll kill her! They have 2 other girls that are of age although i've never seen either one flatten for them. Do I need to find a few adult standard sized hens for them? Some that are already laying perhaps? IYIYI I hate violence!

2. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    I have the same issue with my 20 week old, big, beefy, RI X rooster and my 2 silkie hens. I have separated them now to keep him from hurting the silkies.

3. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Omg! I can understand how you are feeling! Poor little thing! I have limited experience, so bear that in mind & maybe someone else with more will come along to second or discount my suggestion. If you only have 2 other girls of age for your 2 Roos, my suggestion is that they will continue to mount her just as frequently. How old are your Roos and the other females of the same age? Roos mature faster than hens which could be the reason you haven't seen them mount the others or it could be because it all happens so fast!! [​IMG] I think the suggested average is 6 hens per roo to keep the occupied and from abusing the hens. Having only 3 (including the little new one) might be too few. Maybe your idea of getting a couple more hens of laying age? Just make sure you follow biosecuroty procedures.

Good luck with whatever you end up deciding to do! And keep us posted on how it goes! [​IMG]

4. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Yeah i have 2 gilrs and 2 boys all the same age. I've had NO problems with the boys not geting along, and I didnt in my last flock either so I'm no overly concerned with them being mean to each other, but this little banty is, like i said...a little floozie LOL I'll just keep her and the other 2 little ones seperated I think. That was my intention to begin with, i got 1 cochin cockerel and 2 cochin girls, one a pullet and the other a hen. I wanted to have pretty little cochin babies come spring. I guess i need to get to work on the seperate dwelling for them. Although they could just continue to live in the grow out pen and when my sussex hatch let them brood them!

5. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Quote:Yeah i have 2 gilrs and 2 boys all the same age. I've had NO problems with the boys not geting along, and I didnt in my last flock either so I'm no overly concerned with them being mean to each other, but this little banty is, like i said...a little floozie LOL I'll just keep her and the other 2 little ones seperated I think. That was my intention to begin with, i got 1 cochin cockerel and 2 cochin girls, one a pullet and the other a hen. I wanted to have pretty little cochin babies come spring. I guess i need to get to work on the seperate dwelling for them. Although they could just continue to live in the grow out pen and when my sussex hatch let them brood them!

Ha ha! We call ours hussies but floozies sounds good too! We ended up doing the same with our bantams, but since our girls weren't laying yet the roo mostly left them alone. He did make nice with one of the little hens but never tried to mount her that I could see. Just cuddled up tp her especially at night and defended her when the LF hens picked on her. Coop building is fun! Hope everything goes well! Did you raise your Roos together? I got rid of one of my two for fear that they would fight. Now I'm wondering if I should've kept him... Sigh...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by