*New Girl, what to do to make her feel at home??* (beware long story!)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi Fellow BYCers!

Well some of you may know some may not, but I had a fatal hawk attack hit my two bantam hens. My orphan chick I raised (Gracie) made it out the other (Jill) sadly did not.....

I looked for about a week for a new hen to replace her because Gracie cant go with the big hens they beat up on her and she doesnt really fit in with the silkies soooo my friend told me about a man that over 250 bantams.

I went and looked on his page and only saw trios for sale. I didnt want another rooster so I told her I didnt think it was going to work out. Well the next day she told me she had called the man that had them and he said he had a non show quality (Which doesnt matter to me) hen that is all alone because he wont put her with a rooster.

Loooong story a little short Im getting the little girl on saturday. My question is Gracie is very submissive or used to be she seems sorta aggressive towards the other hens since Jill died. I dont want her beating up on the new hen and I dont the other hen beating up on her depends on her personality I guess.]

I pray shes submissive like Gracie.

What should I do to make her feel at home and for them to be integrated easily and calmly.

Also how long should I quarantine her? I dont want to bring discease into my original healthy flock. They are house within the same vicinity.

Thanks for reading this loooong story of mine. Please help!!! Thanks!!

2. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    One of the best things you can do is to bring her in at dusk this is the calmest time for the chickens when they are getting ready for roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by