New Girl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by IveGotSunshine, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Hi All,
    I live in MD and am very new to the chicken world. We have 3 chickens that are now 6 1/2 months old: 2 Easter eggers and 1 Welsummer. One of the Easters is finally laying and we are getting lovely olive eggs from her. We are learning very quickly that chickens love to leave the yard despite trimming flight feathers, they make a huge mess disproportionate to their size, that we keep wanting to expand their home despite space and costs....and that we are addicted to them. Lol.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congrats on getting some eggs, love the color of those olive eggs.

It sounds as if you let your girls free range? You can use some poultry netting as a fence to keep them in their own yard...it's pretty easy to set up. Keeping them in their own yard will help keep them safer and won't rile up the neighbors.

Thanks for joining us, good luck with your flock!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats in those first eggs :clap NorthFLChick left you some good advice on keeping them in. Unless penned in they can be pesky and escape. Hope you get more eggs soon from your other girls and are able to stop them escaping.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. Yes Ive added netting to the top of the already existing fence so it would be over 6 feet tall. We left a few spaces open as the neighbor kids and my kids hop over back and forth to play... darned if those chickens did not find the only open spots within a few hours to hop over as well. lol. Weve decided that in the spring we will build a moveable tractor type run for them so they can enjoy parts of the yard but not escape and still be protected. They have also gotten into the habit of covering my patio with droppings over the last couple months where they never approached the patio before...where the kids tend to play. So weve decided free range isnt working out so well for us. :/

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. All of us at BYC have OCD (Obsessive Chicken Disorder) and very few of us are immune to "chicken math." If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like you need a full enclosed run for your chickens with a roof, no flying out - no hawks flying in. No poop all over the patio Welcome to BYC

1 person likes this.
  8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sounds like your easter egger may actually be an olive egger!

1 person likes this.
  9. Thank you all for the welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by