new girl........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Sep 13, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    I just got a barred rock hen and sh is just starting to lay eggs i got confused on what to feed her........please help what do i feed her........[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Layer pellets or crumbles. Has the proper amount of calcium for their bodies to produce good shells.

3. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    what about oyster shell i have a ton of that stuff......And what does layer pellets do....sorry kinda new at this.......

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Layer pellets/crumble is the proper feed for laying hens. It should be the bulk of their diet. What on earth are you feeding her now if you dont have any feed for her? Oyster shell is a supplement for added shell strength you can put in a separate bowl/rabbit feeder.

5. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    OOOOHHHH and what if i have two RIR hens and 1 rooster can i put them together ........[​IMG]

6. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    i just got her tonight........

7. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Layer pellets or crumbles is a balanced feed designed for pullets and hens that are laying eggs. Although you can supplement it with fruits,veggies and whatever they can find free-ranging the layer feed is all a chicken needs to be fairly healthy and productive.

As for the oyster shell,most layer feeds have good amounts of calcium already mixed in but I like to keep some of the shell in a can available to them at all times. If their bodies need it they will eat what they they need.

Larry

8. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    The easiest and least messy to use is layer pellets. Have another container of crushed shell available in case she needs extra calcium (she will decide this). Give plenty of fresh water in a clean container. If you want nice dark orange yolks, give her greens every day. Grass, winter leaf vegetables eg spinach, etc.

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

rooster brandon. :

OOOOHHHH and what if i have two RIR hens and 1 rooster can i put them together ........[​IMG]

If these are adult birds then you need to introduce the new one carefully. Introducing just one new bird to an established flock can sometimes be quite difficult. Put her in a pen (or fence off part of their run just for her) next to them so everybody can see each other and get used to each other but not make contact. I also put my newbie hen in a wire dog crate in their coop at night. Did all that for weeks and they still never accepted her. Sometimes it's easier adding in several new birds, they don't focus on just the one. When you do put her with them watch carefully in case they attack. A little squabbling is normal as they reestablish their order but if blood is drawn you will need to remove her right away. Once they see blood they will keep pecking.​

10. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    thanks to everyone......................i added 1 barred rock to my flock and it all went fine no blood (thank god) and no harsh pecking and she is top hen........... she is really nice And she has a great personality..........she is so pretty to look at...............so thank you people i would say guys but that might offend someone.....and god bless........[​IMG]:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by