New girls don't like their new home...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lswatson111304, Oct 26, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Ok, so I brought home my new girls the other day. I'm unsure of their age exactly. Here is a pic for reference.
    [​IMG]
    I'm assuming they are scared. I've had them since Saturday evening and they barely eat. The only go out into the run if I walk up to the coop so they can get away. They just seem so sad and pitiful. I've tried to give them treats, and they ignore them. I don't know what to do. Will they warm up to being here? I want to give them space but I also want them used to me.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Give them time. Chicken hate change. It takes awhile for them to settle in. Post back in a week, and I'll bet all will be well.

3. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    they will do eventually all birds are different my first two had no problem because i brought there home they were living in with me to make them comphortable and i brought there bedding and food they were used to as well .
    but my two new ones are from a farm where they lived in a barnready to become "battery hens"
    they have no clue on grass, other chickens or treats. they watch the others to see what they can eat and are very scittish to even there own shadow, they are changing but its a slow proccess

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They'll warm up to you....It can take a while. I just bought a few EEs, and they also have taken a while to warm up to the others and their new surroundings. It didnt' seem like they were eating, but they are. Don't worry, they will adjust and start acting like normal chickens soon enough....

Keep up the good work,
    Sharon

5. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Thanks. They were living in completely different conditions waiting for someone to come buy them so I'm sure this is a huge shock. They are the only ones out there right now, our others are just babies still. I hope they do warm up soon I feel so sad looking at them.
    The babies on the other hand, have lost their minds! [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Try sitting on the ground or so and offer them pieces of bread. I haven't met a chicken yet that wouldn't make friends for a piece of bread.

7. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Quote:very true !

mine took while and gave me funny looks to say what do i do with that!

all they had ever ate was pellets nothing else - they soon learn though !

8. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I think they might be warming up already. Not so much to me, but at least to their home. I tried the bread, and that was a big bust. So I just gave them a little feed and set up a new roosting area. Walked out and this is what I walked up on. They didn't even get up to move while I shot tons and tons of photos!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    [​IMG]

they are having a bath

thats lovely , they will get there with you eventually

i give mine corn and grapes thats there preference, as they have worked out what to do with it now !

not all there though they eat cornfromthe hand if im still but ifi thow it onthe floor they give me the evil eye as ifto say why do that !

10. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Such pretty girls!
    dust bath=happy chicken!
    Dried mealworms are a guaranteed "ice-breaker"!
    There is nothing that can keep my girls away from me when I approach with the bag o' worms!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by