1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New girls in town

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jhd9201, Nov 20, 2014.

1. jhd9201

jhd9201 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    KS
    Hello! I'm on day 3 of owning chicks :)) it's going ok. New things every day, right? ;-) our 8 chickens were given to us. They were hatched May 25th and still not laying. Everything I've read says Jersey's lay later. So I'm hoping that's what happens and doesn't take almost a yr. I'm almost sure 3 of them are males, but time will tell. My two daughters are enjoying it so much. Out every am and afternoon/evening to feed/water/visit with them. We have two brown barnyard mix, 5 black jerseys, and 1 with white freckled/spots. Kids call the two brown ones Snow White and Cinderella. The white is Prince Charming. Lol they are going on 4 and 5, so that fits their lives now. Ha ha

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC! Chickens are a great family project. Best of luck with your giants!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! Enjoy your new flock. Love the names your kids gave them. LOL Very cute.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Cute names!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) names our hens after Disney Princesses as well. You heard correctly; Jersey Giants are slower to mature than other breeds. You're going to need to do something about all those roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens, over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason that you need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in that regard. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you joined us. Sure hope Prince Charming turns out to be Princess!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    IF no one has been crowing yet, maybe you will sneak by with no cockerels. Hope I didn't jinx you. Welcome to BYC. It's so nice when the kids get involved too.

9. jhd9201

jhd9201 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    KS
    Thanks! And yes, I have no desire for rosters!! I actually do have a question, if you don't mind?! Based on our coop dimensions, I was sure we could hold the 8 we have. However, after going out tonight there were only 6 perched. Two were on the floor beside the others. Does that mean I need to get rid of two and go for 6? Tia

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If you have large breed birds like JG, you want about a foot of perch space per bird. Be sure the roosts are comfortable for large birds (2x4s large side up are good) and are easy for large birds to get onto and off of, and if a long perch they can get off/on along the several parts of the length of the perch. (ie if the boss bird takes the roost spot near the easy access point, the perch on the other side of her may not get used since other birds can't get too it). ...but some birds aren't as keen on roosting as others, so it may just be you have a couple who prefer to sleep on the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by