New girls pecking my "old" girl *WARNING* graphic picture

HipEMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
California- Bay Area
I lost all but one of my flock recently. My remaining girl, an araucana, was by herself. A friend of a friend was looking to re-home four fully grown ladies (RIR, 2 Araucana, white Orpington). It seemed like a perfect set-up. I only quarantined for two days- given that i knew where they were coming from. I thought that since the birds were coming into her house that she would be okay- not the case. From day one they started picking on her. The White Orpington is relentless. I had been giving her some breaks, but I need to go out for a few hours and when I came back I found that they had pecked her raw and bleeding.

I am keeping her away from them until she heals. I really need some advice on how to better integrate my girls. She is a sweet chicken and not very aggressive. I'd rather make Orpy dinner than get rid of my sweet lady.

Help!

Do you have any purple spray or some anti-biotic cream? If so put some on! I have not seen hens do that before! If I was you I would remove your new girls into another run, give your old girl the big coop back, let her heal for a couple of weeks, then re-introduce the new girls in again. But one a day or something so she can defend herself.

Also got this for you:
How to Treat Cuts and Wounds in Chickens
If you find a bleeding chicken in your coop, or if you suspect a chicken’s skin has been cut or torn, it’s important to treat the bird quickly. Chicken skin is thin and tears easily, and bleeding wounds are very attractive to other chickens. Whether the chicken caught on something or was attacked by a predator, skin injuries need immediate attention.

* For shallow wounds, wash the area with hot water and soap and gently pat dry, or clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide.
* If the wound continues to bleed, use styptic powder or pressure to stop it.
* Flush the wounds with hydrogen peroxide, iodine, or betadine.
* Place the chicken in a clean, separate area and check the wounds for infection several times a day.
* If infection sets in, clean the wounds two to three times daily.
* If the chicken can’t reach the area with its beak and the weather is warm, apply a wound dressing to prevent flies from laying eggs on the wound.

Thanks for the wound care information. I have 2 hens that have quarter-size scabs and a raised area under them - the other side is not swollen. I think the others have pecked them so much in this same spot that it's gotten opened several times. This happened before we got them.

I've got the worst one in a small wire cage until she heals and was advised to put vaseline on it or even flour until it heals or dries up, then put her back with the rest. I put the other in the cage to, but the temptation was too much for her and I noticed she pecked at the other one, so I had to put her back with the flock.

Is there any way to keep them from pecking these girls? I put them in the coop at night after the others are sleeping and take them out before they get up so they're warm and dry at night.

Is it something else under that bump that might be festering? Do I need to soften the scab and take it off and then put the vaseline on? Should I be doing anything else for them? I just thought it strange that 2 chickens have the same type of wound (it looks pecked) on the same side of their bodies. It's quite ugly-looking.

Any thoughts and suggestions for these poor gals? Thanks!

Thanks for the wound care information. I have 2 hens that have quarter-size scabs and a raised area under them - the other side is not swollen. I think the others have pecked them so much in this same spot that it's gotten opened several times. This happened before we got them.

I've got the worst one in a small wire cage until she heals and was advised to put vaseline on it or even flour until it heals or dries up, then put her back with the rest. I put the other in the cage to, but the temptation was too much for her and I noticed she pecked at the other one, so I had to put her back with the flock.

Is there any way to keep them from pecking these girls? I put them in the coop at night after the others are sleeping and take them out before they get up so they're warm and dry at night.

Is it something else under that bump that might be festering? Do I need to soften the scab and take it off and then put the vaseline on? Should I be doing anything else for them? I just thought it strange that 2 chickens have the same type of wound (it looks pecked) on the same side of their bodies. It's quite ugly-looking.

Any thoughts and suggestions for these poor gals? Thanks!
Could you not get some anti-peck spray?

Back
Top Bottom