New girls, scaredy-cat boy

Discussion in 'Quail' started by iamcuriositycat, Aug 14, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    So I finally got those girl quail I've been talking about. Three of them (all pharaohs) need to grow out for a couple weeks before I introduce them to their new beau, but the English white one I picked up is fully mature (age unknown), so I tossed her in there (10 x 10' aviary/pen).

It's been 30 minutes and that girl has not moved a single step. Not one step. The boy? He is pacing the fence frantically crowing--as far away from the frighteningly bizarre THING I've sicced on him.

They'll get to know one another eventually, right?

BTW, for those who were asking in another thread, pics ARE coming of my aviary--possibly today. I took a bunch this morning, but I'm working on improving the safety of their pen and various other tasks and don't have time to post pics just now. Will soon!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    He'll Figure It Out Pretty Quick [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Give them both some time to adjust. Once they are all comfortable with the surroundings and each other, you won't be able to separate them. [​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    It took a couple hours, but they eventually made friends--by which I mean that she stalked him until he gave in and said hello--by which I mean he attempted clumsily to mate with her five or six times and then crowed loudly and walked away. My boy is no longer a virgin. Sniff. [​IMG]

He is still maniacally pacing the fence and she is still stoically standing her ground. But at least they've made contact.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Congratulations! Your boy is now a man! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by