New girls

JaxGrits

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 4, 2012
North Florida
Two weekends ago we went out to a local "breed preservationalist" to get two new girls to add to our flock. We only had two 9- week old Easter Eggers but one was a rooster and we knew we'd have to find him a new home. We didn't want our girl to be alone obviously so we set out to find her some friends.

We came home with a 5 month old silkie, Dolly. She is not even as big as a football, has brown eyes and was "not a good show bird" so no one really wanted her. Well, I did! She is the SWEETEST little thing!

She was kept in a coop with all of the young buff brahma's. We also brought one of them home- Minnie Pearl!

Here is a our pretty little lady, Louise. She is such a momma's girl. She comes in and sleeps in my arms for a while each night. A few days ago I left the backdoor open and went upstairs. I came back down after it had gotten a little dark outside to find Louise puffed up sleeping ON THE SOFA! She just jumped right up there and went to sleep. Little stinker!

And our rooster, Thelma (he never got a proper rooster name because they have been Thelma & Louise since day one before we knew he was a roo). I was absolutely devastated to drop him off at his new home this weekend. He slept in my lap the whole way there and when I put him down in the coop at his new home, he came running back over to me and tried to jump up in my arms. Totally broke my heart and I cried my eyes out the whole way home. I didn't realize I'd get so attached to a bird. Louise was pretty attached to him too. She still seems a little down in the dumps but I'm hoping lots of treats, loving, and time will heal her.

You made me cry. That's okay, it's not a bad thing, but I don't usually cry from somebody's post.

I know EXACTLY how you feel, as I have had to rehome beloved roosters I thought I would have for the rest of their lives. Due to neighbor complaints, I can't keep more than two at a time. I had to give up 8 roosters and two of them were beloved pets. It was hard when someone came here to get them, but much worse when I dropped those two boys (Hitchcock and Charlie) off at their new farm.

Dolly, Minnie Pearl and Louise are obviously in good hands with you.

I'm sorry you had to rehome Thelma. Chicken folks understand the name. My friend had Tiffany and by the time he crowed- the name just stuck.

I'm so sorry you had to re-home. That makes me sad for you. lol, and I totally get the name. I have a RIR named stripes because she had chipmunk stripes when she was a chicklet and a hen that, though she is laying is referred to as he/him because we thought she was a roo for MONTHS! *face palm*

Back
Top Bottom