New Goat Limping

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by JenJenWv, May 4, 2008.

1. JenJenWv

JenJenWv Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    We brought our two new girls home yesterday and got them settled into their new home. They are two months old and full of energy!

This morning when I went out to feed them, Bambi, the Nubian, was limping on one of her hind legs. I checked her over and couldn't see any wounds. I wonder if she could have hurt herself some when we were bringing them home. Both goats were in a large dog carrier and you could hear them moving and thumping around. Also when they got home, they would try butting each other off and on. So I wonder if she couldn't have gotten a little bruised up by that. Betty Bob seems to be the more dominant of the two, so I wonder if she could have butted Bambi from the side or on the leg. Should I just keep a close eye on her or is there something more I could check or do? Her appetite seems fine because she ate her grain and bottle both right down this morning. She gulps down her bottle about twice as fast as the other.

Appreciate any answers. Thanks for reading.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would say watch her closely. Can you tell if she is refusing to put weight on the leg or the foot?

Look at her foot and between the toes to see if there is an injury there. Could she have stepped on something?

If it is the leg all the jumping and playing they do she could have a sprain and the leg is bruised.

If you notice it worsening or if she continues to not put weight on it through the next day I would call a vet. Not every vet will see goats. You'll have to find a livestock vet. Where I am we only have one and getting on her list for a house call takes a while. Emergencies get preference but it still puts you down on the list.

I tend to worry and over worry but so far I have lucked out and had very healthy goats.

Someone here might be able to tell you much more than I can.

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Do you have any other goats that might have butted her?

We've had kids go gimpy from time to time. Most often, it's an adult butting them that causes injury, but once one of them was being a little overjealous playing and hung a leg in the fence, spraining it.

MissPrissy is correct - keep an eye on it. A strain or sprain will loose it's painfulness over about 24 hrs. but a more serious injury will continue to cause an off gait. Kids heal fast, which is great - except that they can also heal incorrectly in the case of a fracture or ligament/tendon injury which could cause permanent gait abnormalities.

Go ahead and start calling small animal clinics until you find one that will accept goats (they do exist). That way you'll have a resource in case you need it.

I wouldn't recommend any pain relievers at this point as you will want to see improvement or lack thereof and medication would mask that. If you feel compelled, grab a bag of frozen peas and hold it over her entire leg from the stifle (knee - joint nearest the bottom of the belly) to the hoof just like you would for a person (about 15 mins) to help with inflamation.

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Sounds like she sprained it or got hit by the other baby and it should be fine soon. She might have jumped worng off something alos. I would watch it just to be sure. CONGRATS on the new babies... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  5. JenJenWv

JenJenWv Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. She seems to be using it a bit more this evening. I talked to the lady I bought them from, and she said that's the leg she had her vaccination in yesterday. So that's most likely the reason. I have a number for a vet that is good with goats also. It's not very close by--about 45 minutes away, but two people that have goats in this area have told me that is the veterinarian to use with goats. We're in a small town and unfortunately only have one vet here who apparently isn't very knowledgeable about goats. It's great to have resources like this available to connect with other people with more experience than myself. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by