1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEW GOAT OWNER IN NEED OF HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by quickness, Apr 24, 2017.

1. quickness

quickness New Egg

Apr 24, 2017
    I've decided to start raising goats & figured 1 little buck would be my first! He's about 3 months old now & trying to get him interested in anything other than his bottle, is proving to be impossible! He nibbles on his hay after he's had his bottle (but only if I leave him alone), but is absolutely uninterested in his minerals or grass, nothing seems to peak this little guy's interest. Does anyone have tips or tricks I could try, I'm very worried!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    first tip is get another goat... goats are herd animals and do terribly without a companion...

3. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG]
    I second getting another goat. Like chickens, goats are highly social and need companions.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under quickness [​IMG] Welcome!

As I see you found the ‘Other Pets & Livestock’ Forum and I have no experience with goats, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree another goat about the same age, competition sharpens appetites and provides companionship. Also goats love something to climb on or bounce on, sometimes people set up a jungle gym to keep them occupied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by