New goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RockyToggRanch, Jan 30, 2009.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have had one adult togg doe for about 8 months now. She lives with my horses, but has her own stall. I was recently given 2 togg doelings. I'll be bringing home soon. What's the best way to introduce them? My girl has horns, the doelings do not. I'm thinking I should keep them in seperate stalls at first..but I really don't know what to expect.

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Better safe than sorry! Our herd had gotten used to expecting new goats so we just drop them in the field. They all greet them temporarily. It would be like the 1st day at a new job and nobody told you who the bosses were or where to go or what to do.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    First off I would quarenteen them for 30 days to make sure they arent bringing a bug of any type with them. Make it where they can see each other and get used to each other. I use cattle panels for this. The oldest will set the pecking order pretty fast after they are together. I have some with horns and some without. If basically when they are kidding I worry about horns.

4. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for your responses. The 2 doelings are at a neighbors house down the road. They take really good care of them, but have only had them since fall. They seem very healthy except that she tells me that one of them coughs when it's inside the barn. (her barn is pretty tightly closed) and one has a bald irritated (not sore or red) spot on its chest. I think it's from the way she lays. They have been given antibiotics, just in case, for the cough. They're clean and plump and energetic. She keeps them in her barn all day. Mine is outside always, with a horse run in shed and she has access to the horses stalls which open to the paddock as well. I have a stall being built on the inside of the barn for them, with a goat size door, so they can retreat into the barn to be warm, although my barn is open always. They don't have the long hair like my togg. I'm thinking I'll keep them inside for a few days and introduce my goat to them slowly, while she's on a lead rope. I just hope they'll be warm enough with the barn open. My horses do so much better with it open.

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Lungworms can cause a cough...need a cattle pour on type of wormer and give it orally...its 1 cc per 22 lbs of goat...I had 1 do this and treated her and she is better now. When you worm them do it and 1- days later worm again and the 10 days later do it with a paste wormer. This is what I do when I get a new goat...

6. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My vet gave my goat an injection for worming. I'm not sure what the neighbor has used. I'll have to find out. How often should they be wormed?

7. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I give my goaties vet-provided coccidia syrup several times per year, they were given Ivermectin injections and boosters initially and now I follow up with a syrupy goat dewormer several times a year also if the forage gets low.

I try to look at their condition to tell me if I've got worms but you can also do a fecal if you have a microscope. The vets will do one for you too if you can gather everyone's poopers (not easy)!

I have also had to use Ovitrol for lice on any newcomers. This is a spray that I got from the vet... I comb it into their coats with a stiff body brush. They HATE the smell and scatter if they see me coming with that bottle.

Haven't had any lice since! Great stuff.

8. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    So I should be worming throughout the year? My vet said the shot was yearly and he never mentioned using anything else. I assumed I would have them all done during spring checkups.

9. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it is just the coccidia that may be prevalent during the year - depending on the type of pasture you have.

I've read that if the pasture gets lower then the chance of worms gets greater.

I also added several goats to my herd in 2008 so I wormed more frequently.

I also have the vet out in the spring so I will ask him.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by