New goose owner

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kaylabeans28, Mar 4, 2015.

1. kaylabeans28

kaylabeans28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    I own two Chinese geese who I keep in a separated part of the chicken coop and they have access to an outdoor run. I am receiving two Grey Saddleback Pomeranian goslings and two american buff goslings. I need to build them their own area, but I would also like to keep the breeds separated. I plan on breeding and hatching their eggs. This run needs to be updating in the spring as well for the chickens. Most of the time the chickens free range. This is not my house nor my coop, but our friends farm who lets me raise chickens and other animals here. She bought me these geese back in September 2014 to show at fair. They were 4 months old. I now need to build them a larger home with a pen. Plus a home and pen for the other goslings coming. Any pictures of housing or advice would be greatly appreciated! (White Chinese geese's names are Lil and Phil)
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You might find some ideas here https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=goose+housing+

I never saw any update about your gosling, did he die?

3. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My goose house holds 4 [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
  5. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I'm going to follow this thread because with the eight geese coming in a month I need to start rethinking my run/housing plans so all stay alive and healthy. I want to fence off more of my backyard but I'm afraid the neighborhood will get upset about building, or it wont look very nice... I like things neat and orderly. I also think I'm going to buy a dog house or something with an opening top or removable bottom for them at night. Gosh I wish my farm wasn't so far away... I could build so many things!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So you still don't have a secure building or run for your new geese? Neat and orderly is nice but dead geese isn't. I hope your prepared by the time your goslings are ready for the out of doors.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully these little ones will be healthy and full of life when you get them.

8. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN

I have the fenced 1/3 of my yard they can stay in very safely. I also have the Great Pyrenees who will be guarding them. I've been looking all winter for an xxl dog house that has a removable floor so I can slide it out to clean it. So far nothing. The geese don't come for another month and then I won't put them outside until they're about six weeks old.

9. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    My boys came in this morning. Very bossy saddleback and another loving buff. They sent us 11 roosters with them this time,, But the girls who are a week older love love LOVE the boys!
    [​IMG]

10. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EXCUSE how messy they are right now.. I ran out of shavings and Farm and Fleet doesn't open till later this morning.. OH and I got more Rhode Island Reds, but pullets. I had no idea that F&F got them in until my boyfriends mom texted me and told me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by