New Gosling - Our first

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cwaldensr, Jul 6, 2016.

1. cwaldensr

cwaldensr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    We have an African Grey goose that is about three years old. We have only had her for one year but that spanned two laying cycles.

In 2015 she laid eggs but none hatched even though she sat on them. This year we figured she finished her laying cycle because she just sat on one egg all of a sudden. Well we kinda thought she might lay more but didn't. Well after 28 days she just got up. We just got an incubator and had success with a few chicks so we figured why not bring in the goose egg and see what happens.

We are so new to this but thanks to the folks/info posted here at backyard chickens we learned enough to take on the task. Well after three days in the incubator there developed a crack in the egg and within 24 hours we have a gosling. Born on 5 July we named it "Freedom".

We are thankful to Backyard Chickens because we found enough information and pictures to set that lil thing up. Now its all comfy and looks like it is going to do just fine. We love it.

I have added some pictures. Any advice or experience you might have we'll take it. Thanks ya'll for educating us and for real we have two chicks and a gosling from what we learned here. Might not seem like much but it is special to know we have done this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

CONGRATULATIONS on your Freedom!

Love the name by the way!

3. cwaldensr

Nov 13, 2014
    When and how do we move the gosling to be with the adults? Is there a time frame and/or build a new pen for it within the pen of the adults.

Took the lil critter out for it's first stroll in the yard. I laughed so hard. Came running and followed me. Pure fun.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Since it is so young I would keep it in longer. They are easy prey if mama is not taking care it will surely be snatched by a predator. My mama geese always raised the young so to be on the safer side of things I would keep it in until it has most of its feathers.

Introduction to the adults can be rough with only one. I would take that step very very slowly so it gets the best chance possible.

Very adorable that the little one sees you as mama. Since you and the little one are bonded I would be extra cautious about leaving the little out with the adults. Tiny thing will come calling and searching for you. That just draws attention from hawks and such.

I think you are blessed with a special little goose there.

5. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    We've found that using one of those large dog crates that give the gosling plenty of room for food, water and space to stretch it's legs and still have protection between it and the adults works very well. Even with ducklings our goose and gander are the very first to come check it out. We also picked up a plastic expandable puppy fence off of amazon for $70 I think and it works very well. Provides the protection but enough space they get to experience the outdoors at the same time. We start with an hour or so of monitored visitation and then slowly increase it as they get older. Hope that helps. I'll see if I can find the link to the puppy pen we bought. It's a huge benefit, as long as the young ones being kept in it, aren't so small they can fit through the slats...

6. cwaldensr

Nov 13, 2014
    Well I have sad news. Our gosling has died. I have no idea why and just a bit broke up right now. I got up this morning to tend to the animals and I usually take him out for a stroll. He was limp and couldn't stand up. I brought him inside and came here to read. I did some of the suggestions here. None worked. I just had him out yesterday to show the neighbor and he was walking in the yard just fine. This is my first. Man this something. They tell me when you have animals on ya land ya have to expect the death too not just the life but it doesn't make it any easier.

He had food, water, hay, a large area to live in, I played with him and took him outside, gave him grass from the yard, had a stuffed animal in with him.

What could I have done wrong.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  7. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    @cwaldensr most times its not what you've done or didn't do. Last year one of our original saddleback pomeranians suddenly died; very much like you explained it, except we left for work and everyone was fine, got home and he or she was limp and lifeless. Extremely sad. So sorry for your loss. And I completely agree with you about, expecting losses, but when it really happens that expectation doesn't make it hurt any less.

8. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry. Unfortunately I know exactly what it feels like as I lost one of my two goslings last night. :( I have no idea what happened. She was standing, walking, eating and drinking last night. I woke up this morning to find her limp lifeless body and the other gosling sitting on her and crying. She was the bigger of the two and the friendliest. It is hard not to feel like a failure ....I know I do. So sorry to hear you lost Freedom....goslings are so easy to love. Hugs.

9. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG] Oh such sad news to read. [​IMG]

So many things can go wrong inside their little bodies. There is no telling what exactly happened. The little one was loved and cared for and that counts for a lot.

I tell myself every time I lose a chicken "Where there is life there WILL be death. The more life the more death." Then I go have a good solid cry and move on to the others that still need me.

My heart goes out to you and I am so sorry you lost the little darling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by