new gosslings from a neighbor

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lurkin1, Aug 10, 2010.

1. lurkin1

lurkin1 New Egg

Jun 8, 2010
    Southern Utah
    I was just gifted two 2 week old gosslings from the neighbor. [​IMG] I have had ducks. I have a flock of laying hens now. The geese will probably be fed the same kitchen scraps, scratch and layer feed that the other fowl get as there isn't a way to keep them from it. We have enough space for all and they will be penned when not free ranging like the other animals. What else do they absolutely need and what is a good reference?

Is there such a thing as a Donavon goose? From pics on youtube, that seems to be what we have. Black beak and feet with yellow and mottled tan down.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. smileysal

smileysal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    A big bowl of water! Deep enough to submerse their head to wash eyes and nostrils but preferably bigger so they can wash and preen in it!

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    When they're only two weeks old they still need some heat - of course depending on the weather. Especially if it gets cool at night. Watch them closely to see if they cuddle up next to the other fowl.

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i justed watched the Donavon goose video but that is not a breed. i think they mean his name is donavon because he looks just like a toulouse, maybe african.

5. Ooopsy_daisy

Ooopsy_daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Dryden, Michigan
    Make sure to give your babies greens and lots of water.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Lots of water and vegetation to graze on. Grass and roughage are very important for proper wing and feather development.Edited for:[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by