New GQF, Quail on Lockdown!!

Jedwards

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,

I finally committed and bought a GQF 1502 this year. It was really close between that and the Dickey model. I plan on starting over with quail this year, and plan on hatching a lot! I bought about 22 doz quail eggs at an auction a couple weeks back. To my surprise there were about 3 dozen small white eggs mixed in with the Coturnix. I’m almost positive they’re bobwhite but don’t have a lot of experience with them. I figured I’d put them in and give it a shot anyway. I also got about a dozen Silkie eggs from a friend which I put in, reluctantly. It’s not ideal with this mixed hatch for my first trial run, but it’s a relatively smaller batch to work with.

Im not sure what to expect come Tuesday, but when I set the eggs in the bottom tray yesterday, I realized I’ll most likely be buying a Hatcher sooner than later! Hopefully the coturnix come out a variety of colors, I believe after candling I put 200 eggs in. I lost a lot of eggs to infertility/the cold I think, but that’s the gamble when you buy at an auction. They looked great with the exception of the ones that were too dark to candle. We will see what happens! I also have a few dozen eggs that should be arriving this week from MyShire farm, which I’m excited to add some color in the event these eggs all hatch out with the regular brown Pharaoh pattern.

This weekend I built a decent size brooder in my garage that should house them for a couple weeks. I also built a grow out pen last weekend to pair with a prefab wire one, all in all I can hold about 100 adult birds. I plan on keeping about 50 adults.

A couple questions I have that I may post again on a direct thread, but my GQF has the option to turn the automatic turner off. In the event I set all 3 trays with quail eggs at once couldn’t I just build a hatching tray that sits in each tray and leave them set for the last 3 days as such?

My humidity is between 60-70% right now with 1 wick pad. For staggered incubating/hatching, do you think the higher humidity would affect eggs that are earlier in development worse than it would ones that are later in development? Or vice versa?

Thanks everyone! Happy hatching

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 35
Final count was 190/202 eggs. I am beyond impressed with the new GQF. That’s my best hatch rate ever, with winter eggs no less. I could tell at least 6-7 different colors from pharaoh, white, Italian, Tibetan dark and light, tuxedo, silver, and some look like maybe pastel? I’m unfamiliar with the rarer colors as I haven’t hatched many of those. I was beyond surprised at the variety of the mystery eggs. The first one hatched day 16 in the evening, by lunch time on day 17 I had 165 chicks.

Attachments

• 1EC4F1E3-878B-49E2-A553-5EB2AA9451DA.jpeg
    1EC4F1E3-878B-49E2-A553-5EB2AA9451DA.jpeg
    785 KB · Views: 29
When you do a dry method what does your humidity stay at without water? I'm afraid it would be too dry here.
In my old still air it would hover around 30% but that could be faulty readings due in part to the old hydrometer. The GQF has a fan, and that may have something to do with it, but without water the humidity was around 15%. Too dry

Hi everyone,

I finally committed and bought a GQF 1502 this year. It was really close between that and the Dickey model. I plan on starting over with quail this year, and plan on hatching a lot! I bought about 22 doz quail eggs at an auction a couple weeks back. To my surprise there were about 3 dozen small white eggs mixed in with the Coturnix. I’m almost positive they’re bobwhite but don’t have a lot of experience with them. I figured I’d put them in and give it a shot anyway. I also got about a dozen Silkie eggs from a friend which I put in, reluctantly. It’s not ideal with this mixed hatch for my first trial run, but it’s a relatively smaller batch to work with.

Im not sure what to expect come Tuesday, but when I set the eggs in the bottom tray yesterday, I realized I’ll most likely be buying a Hatcher sooner than later! Hopefully the coturnix come out a variety of colors, I believe after candling I put 200 eggs in. I lost a lot of eggs to infertility/the cold I think, but that’s the gamble when you buy at an auction. They looked great with the exception of the ones that were too dark to candle. We will see what happens! I also have a few dozen eggs that should be arriving this week from MyShire farm, which I’m excited to add some color in the event these eggs all hatch out with the regular brown Pharaoh pattern.

This weekend I built a decent size brooder in my garage that should house them for a couple weeks. I also built a grow out pen last weekend to pair with a prefab wire one, all in all I can hold about 100 adult birds. I plan on keeping about 50 adults.

A couple questions I have that I may post again on a direct thread, but my GQF has the option to turn the automatic turner off. In the event I set all 3 trays with quail eggs at once couldn’t I just build a hatching tray that sits in each tray and leave them set for the last 3 days as such?

My humidity is between 60-70% right now with 1 wick pad. For staggered incubating/hatching, do you think the higher humidity would affect eggs that are earlier in development worse than it would ones that are later in development? Or vice versa?

Thanks everyone! Happy hatching
How long can you keep eggs without putting them in an incubator and still have them be viable?

When I do a staggered hatch, I turn the humidity up to between 50-55% for lockdown. When the eggs hatch, the ones still in the turners get a day and a half of like 75% because of how it shoots up from the damp chicks. When it’s over the humidity goes back down and the next group always hatches fine.
That's a great idea. Thanks for the input. I've actually done better with the dry method in the past with hatching quail eggs.

Yes, you can do this, as long as the tray has a HC over the top, to keep the chicks from falling out.

Back
Top Bottom