New "Grandma" to 3 baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hbwright, Mar 3, 2013.

1. hbwright

hbwright Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    We've been talking about getting chicks for a while and have a friend that breeds a few different breeds so we started there. We also have an order in with MPC that will be coming the beginning of May for some breeds that he didn't have. Right now we have 3 day old White Rock (pullet) and 2 Ameraucanas (?). I am just in love with this breed and I remember him being so excited when he fist got them a couple years ago but really nervous about not knowing the sex. I just don't see being able to get rid of them if they are roos, even though he says he'll take them. So, how bad it is raising roos? I imagine they can have just a basic coop and a separate run area from the hens? I'm also a little nervous about combining the flocks when after the next 4 are out of the brooder. I know, cart in front of horse, but want to prepare. I figure these will probably be outside around the time the next 4 get here.

Anyhow, I'm excited about watching them grow and my daughter so far has been taking great care to watch the portable temperature reading around with her and making sure it stays perfect. I'm sure she'll be looking at the min/max readings in the morning to make sure I did my job.

Right now I have them in a large rubbermade tote with hardware cloth on top, half covered with blanket and other half heat lamp (150 w for deep tote) that has adjustable brightness. I have them on paper towel. Is it pretty safe to change them over to pine shavings this weekend? With the shavings do you kind of do the deep litter method and change out maybe weekly? I'm finding information mostly on coop cleaning, not really brooder cleaning. With the paper towel it is easy enough to change out the paper towel.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use deep litter in the brooder, too, just put paper towels over the shavings for the first week. By then they know the difference between food and shavings.

My roosters are in the flock, not housed separately. I have a dominant rooster (Carl an Easter Egger), and two subordinate Roos (Maximillian the Silkie and Domino, a Brahma mix). They do not fight. With 50 hens & pullets, all three roosters work their way around the property with smaller groups of hens.

Oh, and welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills.

3. hbwright

hbwright Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome. I work at night so hear them chirping away all night long with little naps in between. The little yellow one is trying to sleep with the other 2 up everywhere.

So, what would you think with a total flock of 7? Would that be enough even if these 2 ends up being roosters? I'm really hoping at least one is a hen, though I could always ask him for a couple more if needed. Lol. I've still yet to build the coop and I'm leaning into making it a little larger than initially planned and have enough wood for it soooooo...... Would just have to save up a little more for a larger run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by