New Great Pyraneese puppy and i need help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thechickman04, Jan 4, 2009.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i was lucky enough to get a new great pyraneese puppy last night and i plan on getting a pasture full of boer goats in spring time and i know these dogs are known to be great herd protectors and i was wondering how i could train my dog to live with and protect the goats

2. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    A friend of mine uses herd guard dogs and usually raises the youngster with the herd (of whatever to protect). She also does not get to lovey dovey with the dogs. She handles them and keeps them healthy, but no extra. She just got a 7 month old anatolian mix dog and has him with an older guardian dog so he can learn the ropes.

3. COUNTRYMAN

COUNTRYMAN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    look forward to two full yrs of dealing with a puppy, it takes them about that long or a bit longer and you will notice a serious change in them for the better ....they are great as pups and beyond your wildest dreams as adults

they will chew anything they can get their teeth into, dont be too hard on them for this as it is their nature as pups and they are only doing things that come natural to them, they will grow out of it

the sooner you get a goat or two to put with the pup the better you will be, they will do a much better job if they are raised with the animals they are to protect

they are very sensative dogs, be gentle but firm when correcting them

do not give your pup more to handle than he is able to, he is a pup after all....pups can be trusted as far as sight, then they are like kids left alone, trouble will find them
    Dusty at 2 months
    [​IMG]
    Dusty at 2yrs
    [​IMG]
    Dusty watching his flock
    [​IMG]
    Dustys Wife Annie and 1 of his sons LIL Joe
    [​IMG]

Dusty[​IMG]s and Annies pups being raised with fowl just as they were

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have 4 LGD's an they are GP/Anatolian mix and they started with the goats when I brought them home. I also now have 6 pups that are ready for a new home too and they are out with the goats too so they can learn to stay with a herd. I love on my dogs and they still know what their job is. They protect and patrol all the time...just try and grab a goat or me...lol...see what they will do...They need to be in with what they are supposed to protect but if you dont have your goats yet the backyard will do well for now. Once you get them then put the dog in with them and watch ...most dont grow up till they are 2 so you need to train them to commands like Stop, Here, Sit and No! Mine understand theses basicas and they also know Drop it...mine hate to come in the house, they would rather be outside as they are so hotnatured...Good luck..

5. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    thats a vey beautiful ddog countryman

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    i was wondering how i could train my dog to live with and protect the goats

The BEST way to train the dog would be to get the goats NOW.

The first few months of a pups life is when he bonds most easily.

Other than that, theres no way to train him to protect animals you dont have, but this may help:

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

7. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Countryman, That's a gorgeous animal you have

One of my female Maremmas has those same light colored eyes

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  8. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

Countyman,

Great post and advice.

Jim (Fellow Pyr fan)

9. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I got a GP puppy way toooo early from his mamma (3 wks)...

Short story is he was sick with scabies and now at 11 wks, he's going on 40 lbs and a healthy big baby....

I took him out to show/introduce him to the 4 pygmy goats and flock of fowl when we got him and the poor little bugger was scared to death....

Hubby now thinks he will be a house dog.... He won't go near the barn and loves to lay on the porch.... chews everything.... But very smart... he knew Sit by 6 weeks old.... Still working on Drop... he comes (sort of - when he wants to) when called like any kid.... Learning the word NO and is much more active in fighting-play games with my Bull Terrier and Auz Shep mix dogs....

He's so loving and fuzzy.... I'm gonna try to take him out again now that he's almost as big as the pygmies... maybe that will help...

10. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:If you want a GUARD DOG, you need to have him out with the animals you want him to guard.

Rig up a pen so he is safe, but can see and smell them, and they can see and smell him also.

Then gradually introduce them, but do it EVERY DAY for as long as possible. He WILL be scared at first, but he willl never learn NOT to be if he's not there with them.

They do the majority of their bonding from 8-16 weeks, and its very important that he be with HIS animals as much as possible.

NOW is the prime time to start his training if you expect him to do what he was bred for.

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by