New guinea chick not walking on feet! Help!

Rennifer

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2018
Colorado
I hatched this baby 2 days ago from an order of shipped eggs so I have no idea about her (it's just easier to say it) genetics. Ok thought she just needed to stretch out at first so I gave her the day. That night she still wasn't really walking. She's moving around using her hocks? (knees) and she's not getting her head up. That night I banded her feet thinking it was something like splayed leg and she got it off because she's so small. I tried different rubber bands and when one finally stayed on she just laid on her side and didn't move. I've been holding her up to her food and water to try and keep her strength up and shell eat and drink just fine but she can't reach it on her own. I do have her in with other chicks to keep her active. To me her legs fall to the side way to easily. She can still move her legs, feet, and toes. She just doesn't walk. I'm just running out of ideas. I didn't know if a sling might help but I don't know how that might affect her leg development. Please help and thank you for your time! I tried to upload a video but it was too large. I did hatch 4 other guineas from the same shipper that are fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20180814_234739.jpg
    IMG_20180814_234739.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20180814_234739.jpg
    IMG_20180814_234739.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 4
I hatched this baby 2 days ago from an order of shipped eggs so I have no idea about her (it's just easier to say it) genetics. Ok thought she just needed to stretch out at first so I gave her the day. That night she still wasn't really walking. She's moving around using her hocks? (knees) and she's not getting her head up. That night I banded her feet thinking it was something like splayed leg and she got it off because she's so small. I tried different rubber bands and when one finally stayed on she just laid on her side and didn't move. I've been holding her up to her food and water to try and keep her strength up and shell eat and drink just fine but she can't reach it on her own. I do have her in with other chicks to keep her active. To me her legs fall to the side way to easily. She can still move her legs, feet, and toes. She just doesn't walk. I'm just running out of ideas. I didn't know if a sling might help but I don't know how that might affect her leg development. Please help and thank you for your time! I tried to upload a video but it was too large. I did hatch 4 other guineas from the same shipper that are fine.
Looks like slipped tendons (perosis). Personally I would cull it but if you want to try, you can manually manipulate the tendons back into the groove they belong in. You then need to preferably make a cast and tape it so it holds the tendon in place. You can also get a good quality vitamin B complex (must have niacin and thiamine) and mix a half a capsule to one gallon of water. Provide this as the only water source. It must be made fresh daily.

Your keets should be getting a turkey or gamebird starter that is 28% to 30% protein and it will contain the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that they need. You can supplement it with peeled hard boiled eggs that have been chopped or crumbled.

Looks like slipped tendons (perosis). Personally I would cull it but if you want to try, you can manually manipulate the tendons back into the groove they belong in. You then need to preferably make a cast and tape it so it holds the tendon in place. You can also get a good quality vitamin B complex (must have niacin and thiamine) and mix a half a capsule to one gallon of water. Provide this as the only water source. It must be made fresh daily.

Your keets should be getting a turkey or gamebird starter that is 28% to 30% protein and it will contain the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that they need. You can supplement it with peeled hard boiled eggs that have been chopped or crumbled.
They are on gamebird starter. And I will look into how to manually get the tendon back into place. I've never certified across this problem before with my chicks and ducks. Thank you! After I get her in casts, then a sling or just loose?

They are on gamebird starter. And I will look into how to manually get the tendon back into place. I've never certified across this problem before with my chicks and ducks. Thank you! After I get her in casts, then a sling or just loose?
If it can walk in splints, I would let it loose. You may have to pick it up from time to time if it can't get up after falling on its side. You may want to consider the cup method which is to set it in a cup so it can't fall over.

Since it hatched from an order of shipped eggs there is no way to know whether it is genetic or because of the lack of proper nutrition of the originating flock. It is unlikely that it had anything to do with your incubation technique.

If it can walk in splints, I would let it loose. You may have to pick it up from time to time if it can't get up after falling on its side. You may want to consider the cup method which is to set it in a cup so it can't fall over.

Since it hatched from an order of shipped eggs there is no way to know whether it is genetic or because of the lack of proper nutrition of the originating flock. It is unlikely that it had anything to do with your incubation technique.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom