New Guinea Fowl Keeper in Michigan

Joe Soslick

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2017
Michigan
Hello!
My wife and I just recently started raising guineas. We recieved 21 guineas from a place in Zeeland, MI and have been raising them since they were keets. We're almost to week 4 now.

Our main interest in getting guinea fowl over any other birds or animals currently is to help control the tick and other bug populations on our small suburban farm... we've had very mild winters for the past few years, along with a "mast year" for acorn trees (which increases populations of field mice, thusly increasing populations of ticks), so the insect pressure is very high this year. We have a large garden we're also starting, so ideally these little fellas will help keep things in check there as well.

Anyways, I'm excited to be a part of the community! I create videos on YouTube to track our progress as we build our suburban homestead... you can find me over there with the same name-- just search for "Joe Soslick" and you'll find my channel.

Here is the video of the day we received the keets:

We also built them a coop, and made that into a "guinea tractor" as well. Let me know if you have any questions for me, and thanks in advance for the welcome!

Welcome to BYC. I wish you had set up everything on your video before bringing the babies home. Letting them out for food and water would have been the most important thing on my mind. The stock tank also looks too small for them along with floor space taken by feeder & water.

Hope they do well for you.

Welcome to BYC. I wish you had set up everything on your video before bringing the babies home. Letting them out for food and water would have been the most important thing on my mind. The stock tank also looks too small for them along with floor space taken by feeder & water.

Hope they do well for you.

Well, they actually came a day earlier than planned, so ideally we would have been prepared but that's life. The folks at TSC said these bins can raise 30 baby chickens, and we kept them in there for about 2 or 3 weeks. They're out in their coop now, and will probably be free ranging in two or three weeks from now. They seem healthy and happy, and currently all are still alive :)

Welcome to BYC! :frow
We are glad you joined our flock.
This video should help you find your way around the site better as a member, enjoy!

Hello, we live in Holland and just started raising chickens and thought we'd add 2 guineas to the clan. We keep them enclosed for safe keeping from predators so the 2 guineas aren't really happy here. They are very loud and we live in a neighborhood not on a farm. They are very bothersome with the nose so I was hoping to re-home them. Is anyone interested. We got them April 19th 2023 as chicks.
Hiya Barbalou. You revived a really old thread from 2017, but that's okay.

You could post an introduction in this same forum (see links at the top of it) or else see if the Europe group has anyone near you. I've used Facebook poultry groups or Craig's List too for both buying and selling.
Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Back
Top Bottom