1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Guinea Pigs... *pics*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewHopePoultry, Oct 6, 2011.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    A girl I know asked me if I wanted her 2 guinea pigs and since I know her record with small animals in the past, I said yes.
    She brought them over in a tiny cage. At first I thought it was just a travel cage, but nope, its what she kept them in all the time.

I made them a C&C cage and got them some toys & treats. So far they just stay in their boxes, but they squeak when ever they see me, so I guess thats a good sign.
    They are very vocal, but shy.

I had a guinea pig growing up, but its been over 10 years since I had one, but I know the basics and have been doing reserarch online.

I do need to pick up some more bedding though. I ran out, so the cage looks bare. A top has been added as well. (and the zip ties removed from the inside of the cage,lol)

Both are males and need names.

(Toys, hideouts, hayrack etc were added after I took the pics, so please ignore the bare looking cage.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They are cute! [​IMG]

I love the little squeak they give when they see you come in the room! [​IMG]

3. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Awwwwwwwww so cute!

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    There's so cute! What a nice home you built for them. What lucky little pigs! It sounds like they like you already. They're lucky and smart!

6. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    They are so adorable! The blond one looks like a piggie I had named Honey Boy. I miss having piggies. I had a herd of seven at one point because I kept adopting them. [​IMG]

7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    We just adopted one too! She was going to be snakefood- she is very small, was the only female in a tank of males- shes just a baby . She has coarse fuzzy fair. It has been alot of years since we had guinea pigs- so I am researching as well.

How did you make a top for your cage? My fat cats would sit on top of/inside that fantastic cage you built. I need something cat-proof but still easily accessible.

8. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Awww they are so cute [​IMG]

9. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Thanks [​IMG]
    The reddish one let e hold him for a bit last night, I was pretty excited [​IMG]

I just used some leftover panels I had for the top. I dont worry about my cat trying to get them. He is scared of them,lol.

10. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    i want guinea pigs but mum wont let me until we move [​IMG]
    they are so cute![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by