new guineas 6:1 ratio fertility question

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by georgia531, Jun 21, 2011.

1. georgia531

georgia531 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    Hi everybody, I got a chance to buy some guineas and brought them home today.. they are magnificent!! We bought 7.. before we got home, we had 3 eggs laid in the cage we transported in... later in evening 2 more eggs, and lastly an egg with no shell... this is really strange as it seemed we had at least 2 males, and i thought 3 males...so the question is ... does this mean we have 6 hens? I guess there isnt much chance they lay more than one egg a day, and secondly, is there any chance these eggs would be fertile with a 6 hen 1 male ratio?? thank you in advance for your thoughts. PS i am so happy to have guineas [​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Congratulations.[​IMG]
    6 to 1 will be fine i have a lavender male that has 7 hens, leaves me with a bunch a extra males to watch chase each other all breading season.
    Hang on to them eggs and try to hatch um if ya can.
    Don't know if moving them made them lay more eggs thab they sould have or if ya just got hens as i would have to see and hear them to tell for sure.

3. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    thanks for the quick response.... i have the eggs under the house staying cool till my bator is empty next week.. yippee [​IMG] how the heck do you candle them boogers? the shells are so thick.

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I don't have a problem candling them. I usually wait until about 10 days. If not I find myself second guessing what I see. Day 10 works great!

5. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    if the 6 hens were exposed to other roos before we got them, how long will the eggs be fertile? im guessing with the move and the new confinement, the roo thats here wont feel too romantic for awhile. i have gotten about 15 eggs in 4 days.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    My guess would be 2 to 3 weeks just like other birds.
    Candle the eggs in the dark ,it's much easer to see threw them that way.
    Happy hatching
    Don't forget to post some pictures if ya can,we love eye candy [​IMG]

7. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    Thanks !! will keep you updated. [​IMG]

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:[​IMG] Remember guineas take 28 days so they develope slower than chickens so 10 days at the first candle to be sure. I use the cool-lite candeler and it is great on all my eggs from quail to peapowl! $10.00

9. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    i will have to invest.. the one i have is a small flashlight kind... cant candle the EE eggs for nothing... looking for one of those old movie projectors at a yard sale...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by