New Guy and New Chicks

Dunnfamilyfarm

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
I know that i am suppose to feed the chicks medicated starter but for how long and then when should i get them, or should i get them vaccinated. no quite sure how all this works.
idunno.gif

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You can feed your chicks up to 18 weeks with medicated Chick Starter. I would recommend at least 16 weeks on this. Then you move on to Egglayer or egg producer ( which is intended to be used with scratch grains to provide the total nutrition. I personally think Purina is a great brand. I mix Purina layer crumbles with a mix by my local AG store. You dont need to have scratch grain with Purina Layer but I just think its a good mix for my birds. I give them lots of veggies when I we have them, they are free range and in the summer they go for bugs, and plants. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]We never use any medications, wormers, or anything else as a preventative measure. I don't give any medications to our birds unless it is totally necessary.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I personally do not buy chicks at this time unless you can physically go get them from the hatchery or local breeder. Shipping at this time can be hard on the chicks and your luck in them arriving alive is limited. I would wait till April-May. But if you can go pick the chicks up from a local breeder, you can get them now for sure. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Just be prepared, have the brooder, with heat lamp, waterer, and feeder prepared. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]And remember they grow FAST! So have your outside coop ready for them :)[/FONT]

I think it's a personal decision. It all depends on what you want out of your birds. If they are meat birds and you want clean food - skip the meds. You have to pay attention and watch stools for signs of Coccidiosis.
sickbyc.gif

I use green tea, raw milk yogurt and keifer to "medicate" my chicks. Using pro-biotics instead of anti-biotics. Slowly experimenting to see what I can get away with to avoid meds. (I have had cancer - which is why I am so "anti-anymore chemicals" after having chemo therapy.)
If you don't want to risk losing any or you plan on keeping them for pets for years on end - go ahead and use your meds and vaccinate. Instructions are on the back of all feed bags - medicated or not.
smile.png
...as all brands are different.
It's all up to you and everyone here does it different for different reasons.
Welcome to the crazy land of chicken lovers!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom