New guy from frigid Minnesota!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pascal PicklePants, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    I have actually been browsing this site for several months, but i'm only now preparing to actually get some chickens!

I've been living in Australia for the last 4 years where just about everybody has chickens in their back yard. Unfortunately we moved around too much to properly invest in a flock.......but now we are back in MN and more or less ready to start a little feathered family. I'm living in Minneapolis now but will be moving to acreage near Zimmerman in February.

I'm interested in what other cold weather members have to say as far as do's and don'ts, good cold weather breeds, coop designs etc.......any information or advice will be appreciated.

I have learned so much already from this site and I'm looking forward to learning much more.

Cheers from MN!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Welcome back, and welcome to the forum! I'm new, too, so I'll be watching to see what others say.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you are here! [​IMG]

I suggest you start with some homework. I think these should be required reading for anyone starting off in chickens.

Pat’s Big Ol' Ventilation Page
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Pat’s
    Cold Coop (winter design) page:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

Pat’s
    Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio.

6. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from North Carolina

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I would recommend investing in some heater bases for water fonts. They work great in keeping the water from freezing. [​IMG]

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] form Mn! So far so good but this next week will be our coldest yet. Brrr.

9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome from Oregon!

10. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Quote:Any tips on where to procure these?? I was going to use heated goat buckets (I already have these) for the older birds. The babies are going to stay in the heated garage until it warms up.........eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by