1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New guy from Ga

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bnew17, Aug 5, 2013.

1. bnew17

bnew17 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2010
    GEORGIA
    I joined this forum a few years ago but never really got on much. Im a complete rookie with chickens. Just wanted to introduce myself and see where the best place is to ask general questions? I didnt see a place. Glad to be here

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    This IS the place, [​IMG] ask your questions

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, bnew17, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I agree with liz9910 - start at the Learning Center - you will gain a ton of knowledge there! Best wishes!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site! [​IMG]

7. bnew17

bnew17 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2010
    GEORGIA
    Im not really wanting to raise any chicks. Is it common to buy a young laying hen? If so what age should i be looking for? How long will a hen lay in her lifetime approx? Im guessing at least a few years.

Also if i have 3 hens, would it be ok if i went with 3 different breeds?

Say i had 2 hens and later found another hen. Would adding a grown bird to my other existing birds be troublesome? Meaning would they fight constantly?

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    It's not uncommon to get young hens but it is harder to find them and they generally cost more since you are paying for someone else having fed and raised them. POL (point of lay) hens are the most expensive as they have all of the productivity yet ahead of them. Some folks rotate out older hens once they begin to decline in productivity and these can be cheaper to pick up if you can locate a source. Chickens lay throughout their lifetime but productivity declines with age. I have read that some folks have had chickens for 8 years or more that still lay, albeit less frequently.
    And yes, three different breeds will get along. I have 18 birds made up of 12 different breeds.
    You can add birds to an existing flock but it must be done correctly...here's a link to help you along. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

9. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC.

10. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013
    Quote:Welcome to BYC from Georgia. I am just South of Macon. As you can see below, my flock consists of a variety of breeds of chickens and 3 ducks. They are about 18 weeks old and one laid the first egg last week. So far we have gotten 3 eggs but the other hens are looking like they are getting ready to start. I think about 20 weeks is standard. Chicks born by the end of March should be about ready to lay.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by