New guy from georgia with a sick chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by g.a.boy, Apr 16, 2011.

1. g.a.boy

g.a.boy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Hey every one I am from Georgia a friend told me about this site. I am raising my first ever rhode island red hens. I just bought ten last night and having alot of fun with it. I should of joined this forum earlier. I have a chick that is panting real hard and wont get up she is alive but her eyes are barely open. i put her in a box by herself with food and water and removed some of the waste built up on her butt. Any with reccomendations please help me out. thanks

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Hi and welcome! I wish I could help you out. I don't have any advice except to keep it warm and try to get water in the mouth.

3. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    Srry to hear about your sick chickie, I think you have done everything right so far, moved it , cleaned pasty but, do you think maybe she got overheated. i am no expert so hopefully someone else chimes in, praying for your sick chickie...and welcome to BYC

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]

You didn't say how old, so I'm guessing very young. I would put a heat lamp on her as well but cant tell you what temp to keep it at w/o knowing how old. Have you been getting it to drink water or something with electrolytes in it?

5. g.a.boy

Apr 16, 2011
    not looking to good guys i am afraid she is a gonner. dang

6. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Aweee, so sorry. I didn't think it sounded good when you said she was panting but I didn't want you to give up hope, I know I wouldn't have. Darn, I am just so sorry. Now I guess I would advise you to bury it a soon as possible and try to enjoy the others. Again, I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

7. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] i am so sorry

8. g.a.boy

Apr 16, 2011
    This is my first time raising chick. could she have been dehydrated? she was immobile and panting heavily but all the others are fine.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Sorry to hear of your sick chick. I had two this year from two separate batches. One I lost, the other pull through. I gave them a number of drops of sugar water through a syringe every half hour. Then I gave two drops of Poly Visol, it is a infant vitamin. The one pull through after two days, but the other died. Sometimes they just don't have the will to live. Good luck. [​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by