New Guy from Indiana - Coop pics too

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tbeck1985, Feb 28, 2012.

1. tbeck1985

tbeck1985 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Well I had been tossing around the idea of raising a few chickens. I did a lot of research (the vast majority done at byc) and dived in. Last Friday I went to a local store and got the chicks, 2 rhode island reds and 2 black sex links, the food/feeder, water, etc..

I took a big black tupperware container that I had my hunting gear in, cut the bottom out, put a layer of chicken wire on it, put the top back on and covered it with pine shavings. I set them up in a spare bathroom shower. I've got the heat lamp attached to a board, that way I can lift the board up to decrease the temp as they get older.

[​IMG]

While they're getting big inside I've been working on a coop outside for them. The property I rent has a spare shed that I decided to use. I built it into a corner of the building to save on materials and I got lucky and built what I've got so far from my dad's stockpiles.

[​IMG]

I built it off the ground for a bit of protection from animals and rain. I'm going to cut holes in the outer wood and put hinges on them so I can reach in and grab eggs when the time comes.

[​IMG]

I've go the front covered and am going to do the top just the same. I made the entry holes to the nest box 10" by 8" wide...i'm hoping that'll be enough. I am debating on whether or not to make the whole side there on a big hinge for easy cleaning and putting them up at night. What do you all think?

2. ChickenLeg

ChickenLeg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    [​IMG] It seems like youve made a good start! I have 6 - 6week old ameraucanas, so I too have just recently began to raise a flock. [​IMG]You'll find everyone at BYC (backyard chickens)is helpful and kind (unlike a lot of social sites u find nowadays). I'm glad you've started a coop, i waited til my critters were 3 weeks old, and now they're 6 weeks and living in an 85% complete coop (you can see pics in my photo album). But theyre a joy to have, you'll soon see the tight bond that can be acquired if you spend some time with them each day! we'll i hope you enjoy
    the site and continue to come back time and time again, like i do! its just a great place to spend time when ur not with ur chicks [​IMG]

3. tbeck1985

tbeck1985 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Yea, they're only a few days old now and they're already so much more comfortable letting me pick them up. The rhode island reds seem to be a bit more aggressive to the other two and a bit more suspicious of me.

I was thinking I also might get a few rabbits and build a cage for them underneath the coop. I plan on letting the chickens roam around the cow pasture from time to time...do you all think it'll be easy to get them into the coop at night if I do that?

4. chickie fam

chickie fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC

First, [​IMG]

Now, if you keep your chickens in their coop for a month or two and then let them out to roam they'll come back at night to roost there. They'll always think of that as home. I let my chickens out in the afternoon once they've laid all their eggs and they roam around my 31 acres til night time. Its really easy to get them back in since they'll want to roost there anyways.

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio....Good luck with your new chicks

6. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BackYardChickens

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. tbeck1985

tbeck1985 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Awesome, good to know!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  10. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC.

Good start! Update with pictures when it's done.

~AnnElise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by