1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New guy from Las Vegas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RobertInVegas, Mar 8, 2014.

1. RobertInVegas

RobertInVegas Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2014
    I'm Robert, and as stated in the title, I'm the new guy from Las Vegas. I'm a middle school social studies teacher, geek and general animal lover.

My chicks are a little over four weeks old, growing like, well, chicks I imagine. I've had them for two weeks. A friend and coworker incubated the eggs she got from a family friend with her classroom of middle school students with Autism. I had only planned on taking five or six, but have ten right now. The roosters will eventually go back to the person who donated the eggs. Not sure what breeds (barnyard mix) they are, or anything like that. Just looking to have friendly pets that also lay eggs and make fertilizer. [​IMG]

My coop is framed, waiting until payday to buy the rest of the materials--siding, hardware, and rest of the lumber for the frame of the run/enclosure--they must be contained in Clark County (I'm actually in unincorporated Clark County). But figured I should stop lurking and join. Working on the feeder and waterer for them this weekend (need to order nipples with the Amazon gift card a friend gave me). The rest will be as repurposed as possible (have leftover PVC pipe and fittings from a sprinkler repair and five gallon buckets already).

Right now they are brooding in the bottom of an extra large dog kennel/crate with pine shavings as bedding and a branch for a perch. The small feeder and waterer are on wood blocks to get them up out of the litter. All except the largest (and one of the suspected roosters) will allow me to pet them and pick them up. Two of them actually run to my hand and jump on when ever I reach into the kennel. The rest (minus the one) come over and peck/get petted/get picked up.

This is one of the jumpers, her name is Jenny.
    [​IMG]
    This is Bert, our (we're reasonably sure) rooster. Bert and Jenny (and the not pictured Stevie) are black with silver/white spots (Rocks???)
    [​IMG]
    Cleo, with one of our as yet unnamed black chicks (there are three of them, they have gray legs and a little white on their necks/chests), and the blond one Marilyn.
    [​IMG]
    This is Goldie. She's the other one that runs over and jumps up on my arm/into my hand. Before her feathers started coming in, she was the same color as her head. Of the three tan/golden colored chicks, she was in the middle (Cleo was the darkest and Fawn was the lightest)
    [​IMG]
    Marilyn with Fawn behind looking over. Fawn is the only other one that is developing a distinctive comb. Like the other two tan ones, she was solid colored, the same as her head. Not sure if she is a he (rooster) yet or not. As mentioned, the comb is more pronounced than the others, but she doesn't have the red under her head. Bert (we were calling her Bertha) has two red--um, growths (? what are they called?) under his head/on his neck)
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! What nice chicks, you could post pictures of them on the What Breed Or Gender Is This forum for help with breeds and sexes ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this They are a little young to tell, but Bert and Fawn both look like roosters right now. The two black/white ones look like they could be Barred Plymouth Rocks, Cleo could be a number of things the spots make me wonder about Speckled Sussex, the blacks are probably either production blacks/ black sex links or Black Australorps, Fawn could be a Rhode Island Red or a production red, Marilyn looks like she could be one of those White Leghorn crosses, like the Austra White.

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Welcome! Adorable babies. I think you are on thecright trackbwith the roo guesses.

Also those things growing under their chin would be called waddles. My daughters favorite part of the chicken to play with.

Have fun!

4. RobertInVegas

Mar 8, 2014
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm hoping only the two are roosters. Should know more in a few weeks. They are a lot of fun, and super friendly. Waddles, got it. The top portion is a comb though, right?

Off to build a feeder and collect the parts I need for the waterer. The water nipples are ordered. I'll post pics when it's all together. Tons of great ideas in the "coops" section, which is where I got the ideas for my coop. Going to do a variation of the "Fang Dangled Automatic Waterer" and a bucket feeder based on the "$4 chicken feeder" design.

Robert

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Your babies are adorable! [​IMG] Enjoy them while they are tiny. The grow so fast.

Welcome to BYC and enjoy ALL your poultry adventures!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh, and yes, the comb is what grows out of the top of the head. Wattles grow out on the chin. [​IMG]

7. RobertInVegas

Mar 8, 2014
    BTW Puddin Fluff, Cleo looked exactly like the chicks in your pic (upper right side, looks like they have eyeliner on) when she was a week old.

[​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Robert, welcome to BYC.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a beautiful little flock - no fair, you've got GREEN grass too.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  10. RobertInVegas

Mar 8, 2014
    Thanks. Not my grass in the last pic though, it's Puddin Fluff's. The chick in the upper right corner looks just like my Cleo did a couple of weeks ago.

We let our token Las Vegas lawn die off years ago. Have raised beds for veggies now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by