New guy from Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Daniek, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Daniek

Daniek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    OK, I joined. I am a 58 yo man from the greater Portland area That has always wanted to chicken farm.

My wife and I bought 4 chicks about 20 weeks ago, 2 red sex links and 2 because my daughter thought they were pretty. My wife was told they were lakenweldiers later. We lost one red very soon, my grandson got it and she didn't survive. The other red started laying a week and a half ago, the second day we got 2 eggs! We are trying to get the coop finished up. Since we rent, we have had to design and redesign a structure that could be disassembled and reassembled on a new site without too much trouble. It has 4x4 corner post and is aprox 6 x 4 and about 2 feet off the ground. The corner posts are on concrete piers to avoid decay and rot. The end walls are each made as one 4 ft wide self contained unit, and 2x3's to connect them in fence brackets and screwed in rather than nailed. Then a floor over them with joist at about 3 foot spacing. We then prefab'd the 6 ft side walls and screwed them to the floor and corner posts. the nesting boxes are in and being used as we fee range them. we are now working on the roof and a design to make it easily removable for when we have to move it. When we get that done we will side the walls, but I am going to get some Blackjack #57 first and seal the floor. I'm not sure if I want to go up the sides or not.

The funniest part of all this is that my wife will not eat the eggs, and my son won't either, he said "are you kidding? I saw where that came from, I ain't eating it.". on the other hand my 5 yo granddaughter checks every hour for eggs and loves to eat them.

I will try to get some pics of work in progress and post them.

Dan

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Dan! Glad you decided to join our flock. Red Sex Links are egg laying machines. That's a shame about your wife and son not eating the eggs, because with RSLs, you will get plenty of them, and they are delicious. Hopefully they will change their mind when they see you eating and enjoying the eggs after they have been cooked. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your RSLs.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on those first eggs! Bet everybody else will start wanting to eat them after they see how much nicer they are than store bought!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on the egg!:) They are such treasures!

Enjoy your flock and welcome to our's!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When they see how much your grand daughter enjoys the chickens[​IMG] and eggs, they will start to feel they are missing out on something good. I wouldn't push them BUT, if they insist, you could give them permission to help collect eggs - help make breakfast etc.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, many people get a bit turned off when they actually see where their food comes from. Hopefully your family turns around and starts to eat the eggs. MUCH better than store bought eggs.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

7. ronmauldin

ronmauldin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Welcome from the Ocean State!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by