new guy here... have a few question about coop that i am building

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ashtray, Feb 15, 2009.

1. ashtray

ashtray Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    i found this coop on this site and decided i would copy the design . this is my first coop so i hope everything goes well . i am building the coop a little different than the original builder,, i am framing the walls like you would on a house in to give the coop more strength .. anyways if you guys could take a look at the link and offer any suggest that would be awesome
    www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=3300-FF-EMTs_Coop the coop wil be 8'x 12 ' the coop box will be 4w'x 8' x 6' h I would like to have six hens for he coop ...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Looks great. I'm converting a 6x8 out building and i think it will look a lot like yours when i'm done. Thanks for the pics and ideas. Happy Clucking

3. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG] from California [​IMG]

Thats a great coop to follow, one of my faves, I think he thought of a lot of little details! Good Luck!!

4. Lil_Chickadee

Lil_Chickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    WV
    Hey, I love it. [​IMG]

5. ashtray

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    thanks ... this coop is like my garage i wish i would have built it a little bigger. I think on the right hand side of the coop i am going extended the trusses out and extra 3 ft in case i want to add on at a later time .

is a window necessary for a coop this size??????

6. ashtray

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    just to clarify the pics in the link are not my coop ..that the design i am using ... so far i have the framing for the lower box and one wall framed up ............ i am slow lol

7. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Two comments that I would make.

The hardware cloth used in the run is the best wire material to use, in my opinion. I would make sure that it is buried into the ground about 18" to prevent critters from digging under. I would also make sure that it is fastened very securely to the framework, especially if installed inside the run as the pictures suggest. The strongest material is worthless if critters can push it aside where it is fastened to the frame. Perhaps sandwich it between lumber rather than rely only on staples to secure it.

Secondly, the original coop builder made a mistake by not aligning the run's rafters with the studs below. They bear on a single plate and in a heavy snow-load area, there could be sagging. Simply aligning the studs and rafters increase the strength of the run's roof substantially.

Wayne

8. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Another comment:

The run area below the coop is a nice feature that allows use of otherwise wated space. You may curse it though if your hens decide that they prefer it as a nesting spot.

Wayne

9. ashtray

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    yeah i thought about that ... i may frame that area and install a wood floor and use it for storage if that happens:cool:

10. ashtray

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    Quote:thanks for the comments and that's very good advice on the rafters i did not notice that . i am planning on installing 2x4's inside each wall stud to use as rails to strengthen the building and cloth .... do you think a window would be a good idea for the coop ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by