New guy here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ozark hillbilly, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ozark hillbilly

ozark hillbilly New Egg

Feb 22, 2011
    I'm Mark, the Hillbilly was my high school mascot in Ozark, AR, folks around here don't take it as derogatory at all, thus I mean nothing bad by using it...it's still our mascot, even though they've taken his pipe and moonshine jug away...for the time being he still has his squirrel rifle though.

Years ago as a child, we had chickens, bantams mostly, that someone had given us. For the past few years I have planned on starting up again, but things had always got in the way; however, this year I purchased 10 pullets and one cockerel, along with two guineas. They're still in the brooder boxes. Unfortunately, I had one pullet with a malformed leg, her little foot was upside down and she was struggling...we tried to keep her alive in another brooder so the other chicks wouldn't peck her to death. She didn't seem to be in any pain, but yesterday the creator took her back into HIS flock. R.I.P.

So far, the other 9 pullets and cockerel are doing fine, as are the guineas (keets, i think?). They are a couple weeks old and are starting to feather out on their wings.

I'm 38 years old, married to my high school sweetheart (that I found 20 years later), we have three kids between the two of us, 18 y/o son, 14 y/o son, 10 y/o daughter, the two youngest with ADD and ADHD respectively, I'm hoping the chicken raising will help with that...who knows. I'm into old cars, singing and performing music (country mostly, a little new wave and classic rock thrown in just to shock folks in the middle of my set) and working with my local little theater. I'm a Mechanic by trade but with injuries from a motorcycle accident that prevent my doing what I love, guess I'm going to be a stay-at-home dad from now on...and enjoy the garden and raising the chickens [​IMG]

Take care,
    Mark

2. msteresaann

msteresaann Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Washington
    [​IMG]

3. ChickenLoverChrista

ChickenLoverChrista Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    Fort Pierce, FL
    [​IMG]

I sounds like you have a good handle on your live / the Love of our Lord will give the strenth needs for the journey.

Peace [​IMG]

Christa

4. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi -- I'm a hillbilly too.....but my school didn't have it as a mascot...just the students [​IMG].... It's better than being a flat-lander [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (please no one get mad it's an Ark. thing you were either "Hill People" (Hillbilly) or "Flat-Landers" (crop land people)..... [​IMG] )

5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

6. Beekercat

Beekercat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Welcome from Gainesville, Florida!

7. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs