1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New guy in Tn

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by blevisay, Mar 6, 2007.

1. blevisay

blevisay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2007
    Portland Tn
    Just want to say Hi!
    I am doing a little research in hopes of giving a few Chickens a home.

2. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

3. tnokie

tnokie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Hey welcome neighbor. I'm in Portland tn also! They have an auction at Franklin KY everyother sat night(this weekend) you can get some pretty good birds there. Also at the swap south of Leabon on Hwy 31 on every weekend. I'm from Okla. and find the climate here a little humid for the birds but they still do good. Good luck getting started

4. Beau Fleur

Beau Fleur Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2007
    Big Welcome to you:)

5. blevisay

Mar 6, 2007
    Portland Tn
    Quote:I found this Forum and showed a buddy of mine in Georgia (he and his wife raise lots) as I was asking him for info. he is the one that pointed out that you were in Portland......which he found ubbelieveable.

Where in Franklin, I know I have seen it and just cant remember where, next to TSC (the old hardware store) there is an auction for equipment. There is also a sign on Cornith off 259 that says Chickens, goats, rabbits, I was going to check him out.

Thank you all for the welcome!

6. tnokie

Jan 13, 2007
    Wher the fearm implement sale next to TSC is. At the sale barn. I've talked to the guy on cornith(actually sold him some rabbits)but not for sure what kind of birds he has.Yeah I was surprised to see someomne from the same town also! I have atrio of partridge silkies,a trio of columbian old english,and five belgian D"Anvers,four pigeons,and about 12 or 15 rabbits

7. blevisay

Mar 6, 2007
    Portland Tn
    I only have a house rabbit.

I want to add some chickens to the mini farm (actually just starting the mini farm). I dont know very much about them at all. I know I can go to Westmoreland or even Rubensville feed store for peeps. Have you tried the hatchery in Franklin?

I thin I know what I need for a coop and run, I am around the corner from North Cornith and I have every preditor here. Red tail hawk.......owls......coon, cyotes, Yadda yadda.

I am Happy to have someone close to ask questions! If you dont mind.

8. tnokie

Jan 13, 2007
    I didn't like the way westmoreland feed store took care of their chicks. Ruebens uaually has nice ones and usually have some esaster eggers.Only problem I have is a hawk.You can keep a pair or trio of bantams in a small coop. usaully a good way to decide if you like messing with them.Glad to answer or try to ,any questions.

9. blevisay

Mar 6, 2007
    Portland Tn
    My Godson and his mom are in for a few days so I have a 2 year old running me around (I love it) but I wouldn't mind a few suggestions for location and design for a coop, if you dont mind.

10. tnokie

Jan 13, 2007
    Look up "chicken tractors" and you will find several moveable stlye coops

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by