New guy needs some help!

dtomczak3

Hatching
Mar 4, 2017
Hi everyone our chicks are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have my brooder all squared away for the first month or so, With tons of help from here. On to the coop and run, i seen a coop "The Old Homestead Coop" by two rows. My question is he used fence pickets for his walls. Is this ok they are not air tight and I've read a lot about about drafts?

Hi everyone our chicks are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have my brooder all squared away for the first month or so, With tons of help from here. On to the coop and run, i seen a coop "The Old Homestead Coop" by two rows. My question is he used fence pickets for his walls. Is this ok they are not air tight and I've read a lot about about drafts?

What kind of brooder you got for the first month or so?

I build a lot of coops---never air tight---that would be a problem if it was. You can make a are for them to get in that is a little more air tight, but once they get feathered out good----they will be fine.

I built a 4x4 brooder with a 1 foot wood base, 2 ft of chicken wire, and a 3 ft adjustable stand for the heat lamp. I'll,post a picture in the morning. I understand they need ventilation, but if the wall itself had small voids do you think it would be ok?

2 ft of chicken wire,
I understand they need ventilation, but if the wall itself had small voids do you think it would be ok?
If you are saying "chicken wire" chicks can walk right through chicken wire. Snakes and rats can go through it too??

All my coops have spaces between the boards, but I do not live where it gets in the single digits or colder.

Last edited:
Ok Pd, after I seen the last post, I guess I shouldn't have used chicken wire, I bought the 1" stuff and thought it would be ok. This morning I ran out and bought 1/4 welded wire. This is how the brooder sits now.

Do you think it's ok for 10 chicks?

Back
Top Bottom