New guy question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ketcham, Apr 9, 2011.

1. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    I just bought some chicks from RKO.Doing fine,eating and all.Overcast and 50's.To early to let outside???Tomarrow nicer.Keeping them inside at night till it warms up.Lamp on them for warmth in the basement.Thanks!!! Kevin

2. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    new born chicks? Fluffy little newborn chicks need temperatures around 90-95 degrees their first week, 85 their second week, 80 their third week (and so on, in 5 degree increments) until they are fully feathered. So if it's only 50 degrees outside it's WAY too early to let little baby chicks out.

If they are already feathered out (say a 5-6 week) chick they should be fine outside in 50 degree weather.

3. ketcham

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    They have feathers on them.Thanks for the quick reply.I think I'll wait till tomarrow for exercise.Warmer and drier.Kevin

4. chicklovers

chicklovers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    They will be fine outside. U can put a heat lamp in the coop for cooler nights, but they will love it outside no matter what the temp this time of year! im in the Southeast and my chicks are happy campers outside at 4 weeks old. Havent lost even 1 out of 20! [​IMG]
    moved them at 3 weeks

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  5. ketcham

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    Had my new chickens outside.I guess I was hoping for a little more action.Pretty boring really.Did get some yard work done[thats a good thing]I see that my chickens like my flower beds for scratching and pecking around.They played outside for a few hours.Fun to watch who is in charge.I think the pot for him when he gets older!!!!Kevin [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by